Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectRE: between the three:
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=39059&mesg_id=39073
39073, RE: between the three:
Posted by 15, Sun Dec-10-06 08:22 PM

>onto yopur control issues, you think you pessimism with
>turning over the reigns has something to do with you not
>wnating to let go of your baby. i mean, you've sadi before
>that you get beats fom people and rootify them up, but maybe,
>just maybe (and no diss to you) but maybe you shoudl fall
>back.

all i do is recreate the beats.

i mean the MAIN gripe yall been giving us is "it dont sound like a band"

i mean i fell back on the album yall like the least ---now THAT should tell you something.
now aint the time to point fingers but i guarantee you that any highlight of a roots album most kayplayers ever had i had something to do with. i made this place and i know how mofos think simply because i am one of you.

if i put my hand down i wouldn't have a group...i'd have slaves

but in a group situation you must work well with others.

and i see it as a positive thing. sometimes balance is needed. let's breakdown the record yall swore i controlled from start to finish:

@-very minimum input (gave my drum sounds to be sampled)
@@-mild input, spiced up the situation so as to at least attempt to "sound like us" as opposed to the current climate the song was in
@@@-had more to do with it in terms of the mix in which i was able to get "the roots" sound out
@@@@-did fair share of the work, co anchoring the situation, probably had the last say from the mixing standpoint
@@@@@-my baby

rock you-@
!!!!!!!!!!!-@@@@
sacrifice-@@
rolling with heat-@@
thought@work-@@@@1/2
the seed-@@@@
break you off-
i) video version in which d was involved-@@
ii) day of mastering noticing this shit sounds dry and needs a "SPIKE" redo album version-@@@@@
water-@@@@1/2
quills-@@
pussy galore-@
complexity-@@@@
something in the way of things-@@@@

>okay...i've noticed on records where you (meaning the
>production, sonic quality of the song) is more to the
>background, thought gets more shine. the main differecn
>between the live show and the record is that riq is the
>showpeace during the live show. on record you are. its
>almost like your battlin riq for more props on record. i mean
>you knwo riq is a monster, so you trun up you production
>notches to compete.

i turn up the production because i want THE most superior sound i can get.

i dont overdrum ever (see the 1,234,234,543,345,234 why dont quest do fills posts)
i mean "water" was an art piece to musically show what its like in the head of malik....but despite the hell part i think riq's letter is THE most profound part of the song.

i mean i think the "only" time i ever stole the show was the drum and bass part of "you got me"--besides that i dunno.....would you rather me fall back on doing the string part on "love of my life"?---last i checked that almost brought tears to a few eyes....

>maybe im imagining things, but put riq with another producer
>and he blows people away....wth you, he's just another
>instrument in the band...

the average person dosn't see riq as engaging because...well...he aint.

he still a craftsman...but...well--again i think people are judging based on the offstage shit. im the dude on okayplayer posting at 4am when probably someone is down the hall getting head from two fillipino chicks--no one is setting a standard like this ---so i look like the leader.

but you have to see (and i have to say even in your case---and none of this is coming hard....just having a convo)---

people cant blur the lines between judging us on the actual talent we display and the standard for which they set their templets and thresholds.

i outdo riq because im more accessible than him.

>