Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectMele Mel (a.k.a. Muscles) joins Okayplayer as NEW MEMBER
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=38847&mesg_id=38847
38847, Mele Mel (a.k.a. Muscles) joins Okayplayer as NEW MEMBER
Posted by MUSCLES, Fri Aug-25-06 09:44 PM
What's Up?

For those who don't know me, I'm Grandmaster Mele Mel, but you can call me Muscles. I have chosen to become an Okayplayer member because I want to connect with people who have a love, understanding & respect for real hip-hop.

I've been in the game for 30 years. I am the originator of the title "MC". My brother Kid Creole originated phrase "Yes, Yes, Yall". My partner Cowboy, R.I.P., created the name "Hip-Hop". In the Hip-Hop Bible, it was The Furious Five who said "let there be light".

Thirty years, and billions of dollars later, the mainstream media has profited immensely. Countless record labels have put out tons of product and made crazy dough. But, it's my humble opinion that they all have let the people and true hip-hop fall by the wayside.

The word hip-hop has been hi-jacked by low life, drug dealing scum and money grubbing radio stations with the sole purpose of turning inner-city neighborhoods into war zones, and has transformed the average young mind into a cesspool.

We are at war! Hip-hop is under attack. We are in need of true soldiers. Breakdancers, graffiti artists, even DJ's have become a thing of the past. Thugs, drug dealers & pimps have dictated to people who've given their whole lives to the game, what is and isn't relevant. Even true believers have turned a blind eye.

THAT IS NOT HIP-HOP. THAT IS BULLSHIT AND YOU KNOW IT.

Sometimes it almost seems that I don't have a place in the game that I helped create. But that's alright. Cause I don't wanna be around dope dealers, pimps & thugs anyhow. But, I have come to realize people have never forgotten Mele Mel, and I most humbly respect that. That is why we, the hip-hop community, must never give up the fight. Hip-hop IS hip-hop, not drugs, guns, pimps & hos, but hip-hop. The love of music made the game what it is. Hip-hop is music.

-Mele "Martin Luther" Mel (lol)

Oh, and I did cop J-Dilla's CD. I'll talk about that in my next post.