Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subject10 Things You Didnt Know About Talib Kweli (swipe)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=38431
38431, 10 Things You Didnt Know About Talib Kweli (swipe)
Posted by dacruz, Tue Jan-23-07 05:48 PM
http://harpmagazine.com/articles/detail.cfm?article_id=5103

Since first hitting widespread recognition with Black Star—his uber-critically lauded trio with Mos Def and DJ Hi-Tek—in 1998, Talib Kweli has married alluring production style with smart, dynamic lyricism. Albums like 2000’s Reflection Eternal and 2004’s The Beautiful Struggle have established him as a beatsmith with both brains and commercial savvy. His new record, Ear Drum, arrives in February, and includes guests Justin Timberlake, Norah Jones, and underground queen Jean Grae. We spoke to Talib on the streets of Los Angeles.

1)I’m from Brooklyn so I’m keen on Caribbean food—jerk chicken, curried snapper, plantains. I like trying out different things on my palate.

2)My father was a DJ. He had a huge record collection that was too big for the basement. There were records stacked all over the house. I used to listen to these records from the ‘50s and ‘60s. The genre didn’t matter. He was into Junior Walker & the All Stars and Bob Dylan, Little Anthony & the Imperials and Bloodstone.

3)I don’t like flies, especially flies in my ears.

4)If I wasn’t doing what I do I’d probably be teaching at a high school. That’s the age the kids need the most work. Both my parents are educators. I don’t think I could have a regular job. I need something that’s rewarding.

5)I like to hike. I’m down here in L.A. and there’s trails all over the place.

6)My best gig was in a train station in Johannesburg, South Africa. It was like Grand Central Station. I went with this activist group, Malcolm X Grassroots Movement. I don’t know how they secured a government-controlled train station for us to perform in but they did. It was me, Jeru the Damaja, Black Thought, and Dead Prez, and it was just phenomenal.

7)I’m not really a fan of country music, though I appreciate the sentiment. Country is very similar to hip-hop. Both are very folksy. The stories are similar. But, I’m not a fan of how it hits my ear. And I definitely don’t like heavy metal. Other than that I can appreciate anything.

8)I gotta get off the Red Bull. I’ve been drinking just before I perform and that’s not really a good habit (laughs). I also jump rope before I perform. I did a little bit of boxing training last year and one of the first things you learn is how to jump rope.

9)My first crush on a famous person was either Vanessa Williams or Pebbles.

10)I’d like to do something about AIDS in Africa. That’s where the worst problems with the disease are. There’s a real lack of education or resources even if people know what’s going on.
38432, good swipe
Posted by chaseman, Tue Jan-23-07 06:42 PM
also so album is due in February I didnt think january was going to happen. Nice if we see it in FEB.
38433, I totally agree with #3
Posted by lovelyone80, Wed Jan-24-07 09:19 AM
I don't like flies either.
38434, I also hate bees near my ear too.
Posted by OrangeMoon, Thu Jan-25-07 10:46 AM
Prolly my biggest pet peeve about the outdoors especially during picnics and cookouts.
38435, #9: pebbles!? pebbles? is that what's hot in the streets?
Posted by connectpoliticditto, Wed Jan-24-07 11:18 AM
38436, who the hell gets flies in their ears!!11>1?!
Posted by Ayatollah Watts, Wed Jan-24-07 11:46 AM
i mean, gnats i can see... but flies are big as hell...
38437, I remember my parents went away for a week.
Posted by Clark Kent, Fri Jan-26-07 12:23 PM
and I just kinda drank wine every day and was a slob and didnt take the trash out...and there were flies...and they got in my ear..and I did not like it.
38438, Justin Timberlake??????
Posted by High Chief, Wed Jan-24-07 02:02 PM
WTF?
38439, ah c'mon, dude aint that bad...
Posted by jzilla, Fri Jan-26-07 04:41 PM
nm
38440, Far From It... Justin is a good singer.
Posted by High Chief, Sun Jan-28-07 07:14 AM
but that's not the point.

The thing is, that I don't understand why most Hip Hop artists tryin' to make collabos with popstars like Justin.

I'm Justin askin myself - why Justin? Ain't there at least 1000singers who have the same talent and professionism like justin has?

I know that development in Life is important, especially in Hip Hop.
Talib does not want to make another RE or Quality, he needs to proceed.
But to me it's a mystery that some/most rappers at any time tryin' work with scott storch, timbaland...

Don't get me wrong, I love Talibs Music and I have each of his albums and I accept his decision in doin a song with justin.
I trust Talib.

PS: check http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=3&topic_id=137317&mesg_id=137317&page=
38441, RE: Far From It... Justin is a good singer.
Posted by Hopats, Sun Jan-28-07 11:13 AM
I'd prefer Dion.
38442, RE: 10 Things You Didnt Know About Talib Kweli (swipe)
Posted by julio14, Wed Jan-24-07 03:47 PM
lmao at "we spoke to talib in the streets of los angeles"

that sure does paint a picture.
38443, RE: 10 Things You Didnt Know About Talib Kweli (swipe)
Posted by signpost, Wed Jan-24-07 05:08 PM
>Ear Drum, arrives in February

I'll believe it when I see it.
38444, RE: 10 Things You Didnt Know About Talib Kweli (swipe)
Posted by K. Dot, Wed Jan-24-07 05:25 PM
#3 is my problem. I hate it when those damn flies buzz in my ear too.
38445, 4)If I wasn’t doing what I do I’d probably be teaching at a high school. That’s the age the kids need the most work. Both my parents are educators. I don’t think I could have a regular job. I need som
Posted by thegeekisdown, Thu Jan-25-07 02:39 PM
since i can't rap/produce, that's basically what i'm doing
38446, RE: 4)If I wasn’t doing what I do I’d probably be teaching at a high school. That’s the age the kids need the most work. Both my parents are educators. I don’t think I could have a regular job. I need
Posted by John Sparks, Fri Jan-26-07 12:38 PM
I rap and produce, but since no one likes it, I teach! LOL

www.myspace.com/sublimenoize
38447, RE: 10 Things You Didnt Know About Talib Kweli (swipe)
Posted by B-BoyRasta, Fri Jan-26-07 11:57 AM
Thanks, this info is dope and gives me more insight into the life of a REAL MC. Talib is the best cat doing it and I hope gets all the props and respect he deserves. Peace, B-BoyRasta
38448, DJ Kweli?
Posted by okphenix, Sat Jan-27-07 01:43 AM
i don't know if "beatsmith" was the word they wanted

http://www.myspace.com/mphenix
38449, Number 6...I was there!!!!!
Posted by Seven, Sat Jan-27-07 12:42 PM
...amazing show...
my 1st time on the continent...1st hip hop show...
had a blast!!!!...
was back in 2001....around 9/11