Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectNot trying to abuse my freedom of speech here
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=38310&mesg_id=38400
38400, Not trying to abuse my freedom of speech here
Posted by rainbowchild, Fri Jan-12-07 11:07 PM
Or take cheap shots at The Soulquarians and what their out to accomplish. I'm not into trying to go back and highlight what anyone refutes, cuz it all opinion anyways, just like peoples opinions on a cars performance, or a game they see on tv. Besides, those guys can do whatever they want to do and i'm sure they will.

I tried to convey that the Soulquarian mentality would have one to believe that Black music in general, rests squarely on D'angelo's shoulders. That music just cannot go on without D'angelo which is the furthest from the truth. (Record store closings and all, it's carrying on right along, by the looks of it) Imo though, they bring that baggage into the studio with them and it seems to come at D'angelo's expense. It becomes a burden to even create under those conditions. I think partly, that's where you get the stories of D'angelo not showing up for sessions, or showing up high. He can play those games with the Soulquarians all day but notice how quickly Dre sent D that Imagine track and D jumped to it which is what you won't get from the Soulquarian production. I seriously doubt that D'angelo even enjoys playing with those guys. I mean, they turn around and give out the same tired & predictable neo soul tracks to Joss Stone, Amy Whitenhousenbaumer, Northern Soul, etc.

Also, the 15 & D'angelo together tracks always seem to bring a lot of D'angelo's weaknesses to the fore. (complaints of mumbling, no melody, no groove) It makes him sound under produced and a real drag to listen to. It's almost like looking at someone physically unattractive and trying to figure out what it is that you think makes them that way. Maybe it's their complextion, maybe it's their features, maybe you get the sense that they have a nasty disposition.

Lastly, with Dre, it's eqaully his reputation on the line as well, as both are working against the stigma that music has past them by. This ain't the 1989-92 Dre & this ain't the 1995 D'angelo. Em don't even take a whole lot from Dre anymore, does he? 50 cent to me, has run his course. Game doing fine without them all, it seems. Dre & Marsha from Floetry i would've perferred to see before Dre & D'angelo (as Marsha ain't gonna miss) but i'll take what i can get.