Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectim feelin you but you gotta allow niggas to say what they feel at times
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=37829&mesg_id=37968
37968, im feelin you but you gotta allow niggas to say what they feel at times
Posted by truekolor, Tue Apr-18-06 03:29 PM
i completely agree that dude who wrote that post was off base, purely off the fact that he didn't offer any constructive criticism, he just said it was wack and that was it. Yea, that nigga needs to shut up, but i think as fans you gotta allow us to say stuff and criticise. I think despite the popular conception that real die-hard fans ride for any album put out by their favorite artist, im one to believe that real fans, especially music fans are actually MORE critical of their favorite artist. Sure they allow him or her to grow, however just because one is growing don't mean that it is tight, a nigga can try to do some unorthodox shit, which i like but that don't mean ima be jumpin up and down gleefully like "man he went left field, hes a real artist". Sometime folks be thinkin that if a nigga steps out the box, automatically he is a better artist than the ones who are "confined" within the parameters of said music genre, in this case hip-hop. Outkast stepped out of the box a little, that was tight. Mos Def stepped out of the box, it wasn't that good, the nigga sounded exactly like the white rap-rock groups he was dissing. However, his songs with his singing were nice...

At the end of the day, you're saying that you don't mind constructive criticism, but you're comin off as if any time a nigga makes a comment that directly says or implies that niggas shit is just not jumpin off like that, that we ain't real heads and we don't know what we're talkin bout, that's my only real disagreement wit your reply. Other than that, i respect your grind, i got all your albums, RE, Blackstar were your best, Quality was tight, and Beautiful Struggle was mediocre at best , right bout now was better wit a few bangers, ms hill, supreme, and the joint wit jean grae. I think as a consumer, i have the right to say that, even more importantly, as a REAL FAN of talib kweli, not some mindless drone who would bob their head if you said " i like that laffy taffy joint". That ain't me and i consider myself a big fan of you, however i am also a MUSIC fan and sometimes you, and other okayartist don't be puttin out hot shit. period.

Like the one time you said on one song, "i don't fuck wit politics/i don't even follow it", but yet you say stuff like "the democrats are acting like republicans", which is obviously inherently political, my point in bringin that up was not to diss, but to ask is it alright for me to critique that or would you rather i eat up the inherent contradictions? i don't know, but regardless i got love...

"The white man sailed to Africa and saw the Black man laying in the bush with 12 women. As soon as the white man returned to America he created a law called Bigamy. Bigga-den-me." - Paul Mooney