Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectAnte up........
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=37829&mesg_id=37965
37965, Ante up........
Posted by GodHour, Tue Apr-18-06 02:44 PM
I'm an official OKP Hater. And it's not just the brand of music, because OKP represents many of my favorite artists. It's not just the fact that back in the mid to late 90's--when most of the OKP artists start seeing some real shine--it just so happened that 80% of the audiences at these artists' live shows couldn't possibly represent or repsect "the struggle". I don't hate on OKP because I'm a starving artist who just can't seem to get down. Nor am I an obsessed fan with no real outlet besides the internet to satisfy my need to "belong". The reason I hate OKP is because it has-- as does mostly every other entity that attaches itself to my people--become a rapist. I hate OKP for the same reason I hate Def Jam, MTV, BET, Radio 1 and mostly all other VIACOM subsidiaries. Anywhere a mf like Talib Kweli can get this much hate on his own site is somewhere I don't think I need to be. Do you really think people are on laffytaffyplayer.com or demfranchiseboysplayer.com disrespecting those artists? This shit is ridiculous, because I don't have most of you that have disrespected both M1 and Kweli saying any of that to their faces. And I realize that is one of the cons that comes along with the internet, but yabasa (sp)!!...lol. Seriously, I was a PA on Dead Prez' first video (well actually my girl at the time was working wardrobe, but being PA...that's the lie I tell people) and I hated on those kids. Musically, I didn't get it. I'm a traditional head-nod nigga and they just didn't move me. At first glance, I thought they were just some down south cats that caught some culture from an HBCU or somewhere and blew because they was spittin' pseudo-knowledge to a fanbase that obviously had no cultural or revolutionary exposure. As I listened closer, I learned quickly that just the mere fact that they'd taken a stand to certain things, particularly at that time--the beginning years of the bling era---that they represented true hip-hop. I have never owned a Dead Prez album, but they most definitely have my utmost repsect. That's the purpose of this reply. And I don't relieve the artists' responsibility to the situation. If I didn't overstand where Kweli was coming from in his statements, I'd assume, like many, that he was another spoiled star. Sorta like Sprewell or something; similar, but in an entirely different vein. Unfortunately, at the core of this "issue" is OKP itself. What had the potential to be a real movement in 2000, has become one big ass myspace page and the artists just happen to be myfriends. This is fine but it can be much more. While the writers still usually keep the content filled with useful information, I don't think it is being packaged and distributed in the proper markets. Maybe OKP should charge for membership or offer OKP VIP where a true artists community can exists and folk would need thier work reviewed and approved in order to have the privelege to interact with the OKP community. As it stands, if I'm Kweli or M1 or Common, I would have little to no motivation to interact with many of you and this is sad. I don't think this is what they had in mind. People such as myself, who read OKP but rarely post, are turned away by this type of nonsense. I just read like 6 straight replies that dis Kweli and unless the posters know of some dirt this brother had done personally, I can't imagine him deserving that type of treatment...on his own site. Let me make this warning: If both the owners of OKP and the community players, themselves, don't find a true movement or revolution to which this energy can be directed, I see a bleak future for OKP.com. Obviously, you, the current OKP generation is failing to attract a new or next generation so you are what you make it. There are a lot of talented, connected, righteous, and revolutionary folk that are members of this site and involved in this community. Negativity is divisive. We know better. Don't just talk shit. Make shit happen. If you ain't feeling M1, don't diss him on his own site. Make a hot ass record that disses him, yet respects his politics (how can you not?) or at least reflects your own. Damn!

Matin Salaam Bari

PS...and I thought I was too gully for this type shit....go figure?