Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Y'all call Kweli an overly sensitive, whining, crybaby but damn man...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=37829&mesg_id=37879
37879, RE: Y'all call Kweli an overly sensitive, whining, crybaby but damn man...
Posted by ILL FLOW, Tue Apr-18-06 02:53 AM
i think a lot of ppl don't understand what goes into creating an album. the writing, recording, listening, editing, printing, promoting, calling, etc etc etc.

since a lot of the world is so disposable now ppl just think an album is finished in a week or something to that extent.

i am a true independent. i've completed 1 album and am working on a collaborative project and another aside of that. no label, no funding, this comes out of my own pocket from hours upon hours of overtime @ the 9to5. i was on tour. i was on a couple tours. i had to drive my own 94 accord with 5 other cats etc etc. no money, sleeping in the whip and scouring for telly cash etc etc. just to get ppl to "try" to listen.

its very hard. so before i criticize an album i "listen"...and let me stop quickly to explain listening.

1) buy the album 2) take it home 3) play the CD from beginning to end without any skipping while 4) reading the liner notes.

and i do this to see how the album was conceived and what went into birthing this music. ppl don't do that anymore. for example i met a couple chicks that bought the "jamrock" joint a while back. they unwrapped it, put it in and as the songs played they skipped thru the tracks b4 each song even got to like 10seconds elapsed time. and i think a lot of consumers do that & then from that haphazard listening party that they give themselves say that an album is platinum or copper.

so i think that the argument or displeasure is from ppl that pass judgement on an album that hasnt even really been given a chance whatsoever before the judgement.