Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectRE: What Makes A "Classic" Contest, win Kanye West, Nas, KRS-One and Rakim
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=37502&mesg_id=37540
37540, RE: What Makes A "Classic" Contest, win Kanye West, Nas, KRS-One and Rakim
Posted by djkd, Sat Mar-31-07 10:37 AM
READY OR NOT, here is MY PHILOSOPHY on what makes a CLASSIC (so LISTEN UP):

Of course THE CHOICE IS YOURS, but IT AIN’T HARD TO TELL what makes a song classic. First the artist makes you CHECK THE RHYME and ponder HOW MANY EMCEES can provide the proverbial CRITICAL BEATDOWN or make you feel like you have to PROTECT YA NECK? A classic lyric is the MOST BEAUTIFULEST THING IN THE WORLD and nothing makes you feel SO FRESH AND SO CLEAN. But SIMON SAYS there AIN’T NO HALF STEPPIN on the production either, artists must always be LOOKING FOR THE PERFECT BEAT; a beat that makes you SLAM and want to JUMP AROUND and say DAAM! (but sometimes YOU GOTS TO CHILL). The sound can vary too, sometimes IT AIN’T NUTHIN BUT A G THANG, sometimes it has that SOUTH BRONX feel, other times it’s just COOL LIKE DAT, then again sometimes it’s a CHILDREN’S STORY like PETER PIPER.

HIP HOP JUNIES know THE BEST KEPT SECRET is you can enjoy a classic with anyone; FRIENDS, your POSSEE ON BROADWAY, or even the BOYZ IN THE HOOD. A classic catches your attention anywhere and anytime, I can listen to the classics at 6 IN THE MORNING while I’m putting on MY ADIDAS. You can also recite a classic anytime, whether ON THE RADIO, or LIVE AT THE BBQ, or even while being TRIED BY 12. Although I don’t enjoy a classic ONLY WHEN I’M DRUNK, it helps if I’m drinking GIN AND JUICE, or maybe smoking MAD IZM and BROWN SUGAR. Regardless of my mental state, a classic track is far from PAPER THIN, it’s like a THE SYMPHONY and it makes me think I USED TO LOVE H.E.R.

Some have said TIME’S UP for the REAL HIP-HOP, but I say SLOW DOWN, there is still TIME 4 SUM AKSION and time for some more classics.

Now that I GOTCHA OPIN, there you have it, I was ON A MISSION to find the RE-DEFINITION of a classic…I hope you got THE MESSAGE.

ONE LOVE from ME, MYSELF, AND I.