Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectNot True At All...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=37350&mesg_id=37394
37394, Not True At All...
Posted by jsn.emam, Wed Mar-14-07 03:15 PM
Actually, a lot of people do go to, not only, see the whole band, but also to hear a lot of the solo pieces that you will never get on an album. I go to Roots shows not only because I love the whole group and want to see them live. But, also, because I'm a bass player who hugely admires what the Hub does with the instrument, and it is amazing to see him cut loose on stage. I know I'm not the only one who feels this way. I know plenty of other people who say the same thing. I am constantly meeting new bass players/Roots fans that try to catch every show they can, because they want to see what The Hub is gonna do. I've taken people with me before who don't even like Hip-Hop, but walk away Roots fans. And, usually they site the solos and the entire jam band atmosphere as what hooked them (a lot of times those same people will drop whatever they are doing to go to a show with me, but if I put in an album they don't want to here it). If I just wanted to hear songs back to back, I would just put in the album. But, I don't, I go to Roots shows to hear something a little different, and to watch while they showcase what they can do as musicians. This is why a lot of rock acts like TOOL have such popular live shows. They will just sit there for long periods screwing with their instruments and effects, and people love it. It gives something that the fans could never had heard if they didn't go to the show. I mean, whatever, to each his own I guess. But, personally, if they didn't do the solo sets, I'm not sure I would go so far out of my way to catch every show I can.

And, as far as this:

>People don't pay to see that just like they don't
>pay to see o-lineman play in a football game, even though both
>are integral to what the band/team does.

Les Claypool tours on a regular basis (He actually had OK Artists, The Coup, open for him a while back when he played where I live). So, I guess people do pay to go see what you called the musical equivalent of an O-lineman.