Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectI didn't see this show but I've seen the Roots at least 50 times
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=37350&mesg_id=37370
37370, I didn't see this show but I've seen the Roots at least 50 times
Posted by Bombastic, Tue Mar-13-07 11:00 PM
and while I wouldn't use some bullshit music critic term like 'wonky'......there is no point to me in having extended bass solos towards the end of every show. When everyone's solos get extended (especially when they do them one after the other) it does slightly damage the momentum of an otherwise great show to me......and I know many that feel the same way.

Covers and medleys work, I love incorporating horns, Kirk feels more like a true band member than any guitarist they've had before, etc.

but a lot of times the solos (when not performed in the context of an actual song) can feel like each member is trying to display a musicality that is better expressed by just playing together as the banging-ass band that they are.

Obviously they're the best band going, so I've long since learned to just accept that the solos are coming and hope that they close out strong (because there was a time a few years back when they'd close after about 45 minutes of straight solos....which felt anticlimactic as hell).