Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectRE: I sure as hell don't have SYNAPSIS!
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=36881&mesg_id=36989
36989, RE: I sure as hell don't have SYNAPSIS!
Posted by rainbowchild, Wed Feb-21-07 04:55 PM
I worded what i was trying to say poorly, sorry. Dana (John Blackwell, Dave Weckl, +1 zillion other drummers) are not only very musical, but it 'flows naturally'. A gift from Jehovah God.

When i say 'breakaway talent' it's that thing as you yourself know Rez as a musician, that you can hear 1 note being played by someone (whatever the instrument of choice) and you know that they got 'it' personal tastes aside. It's undeniable.

Playing a zillion notes, on someone elses gig, from what i understand, will make you loose out on a lot of work, as you've stated yourself.

Personally, i like those players, in incriments. It's not that they only can distinguish themselves, but even if someone tried to mimic them, it wouldn't sound convincing enough.

Dana is a real exxagerated example, as after two songs of overplaying like that, i would want to punch through his snare drum with my fist, lol... He must keep a lot of energy to sustain that type of play all night. I'm sure Berklee will help him to pull in the reighns & tone all that down a few notches.

I going to look into J DIlla, as he's inspirede so many people, it's almost annoying to hear about.

Where were all these people with the pots & pans, wailing & moaning in the streets, when he was alive?

Toward the end of his life, he had to still grind, from what i read, from his deathbed. I hope that doesn;t piss anyone off, i'm not trying to be disrespectful. Dilla this, Dilla that is all i'm hearing.