Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectRez, i was dating this girl in 2000
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=36881&mesg_id=36963
36963, Rez, i was dating this girl in 2000
Posted by rainbowchild, Wed Jan-31-07 10:53 AM
and we went real early to the movies to get our tickets one time (she wanted to see the movie where Jennifer Lopez kept getting abused by her husband, it was called Enough)

We had about 1 hour before it started so we went to this little cafe (it's closed down now) on Route 1 in Alexandria Virginia to get something to eat. In there it was a live 3 piece band that consisted of a drummer, a guitarist and this little pakistian man on a 4 string p bass.

I wasn't paying much attention to them (the band) but somehow the way in which the guy was playing the bass, smacked me dead in my face. I couldn't stop thinking about how good he made me feel playing it all night. Rez, tt wasn't like he was doing Jonas Hellborg runs or Jaco licks, just simple root 5 octave things, locking in with the kick drumm, sitting in the pocket.

Around that same time i read that D'angelo & 15 loved Lewis Tayor. I decided to check him out too and could see what it was that was moving his music that way. The bass. I been sorta fanatical about it ever since man...