Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectThat Sly Clip is off the chain!
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=36881&mesg_id=36946
36946, That Sly Clip is off the chain!
Posted by rainbowchild, Mon Jan-29-07 01:16 PM
Now that's what D'angelo (Pre Questlove era) reminds me of, to a tee. When he was at his best.

Rez, my parents were stationed (military) in California in the (70's, i was born in 74') and my dad has told me that Sly was a radio personality that would play his keyboard on the air with whatever song that was playing.

What i like about those simple songs is the beautiful harmonies underneath, not just the funky bass work, the funky guitar work, the funky horns section, but moreso the harmony dictated by the keyboard. The clip up above of Andrew Gouche (the guy in the red baseball hat and red shirt) is good, not because of hs slaping technique (it's get old man) but the harmonies that the keyboard is laying down.

Those techniques are cool (slapping, 16thnote playing, muting notes)but get tiresome to look at and only seem to impress other bass players and drummers, not the average joe.

The Zaiwnful clip is straight but that stuff goes over my head, as it too much i'm trying to take in. The bass player is nasty and seems to be catching every fill the drummer is throwing out there.