Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Sonically polished is a good definition
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=36881&mesg_id=36904
36904, RE: Sonically polished is a good definition
Posted by SuckaPunch, Tue Jan-23-07 09:02 AM
"He sounded sincere and was at his absolute best under those textures, btwn Brown Sugar & Voo, imo."

I definitely feel you on that, but at least the loops and beats D used on Brown Sugar were a little dirty (like in Alright or Smooth) and seemed to carry the music he put on top perfectly. I dunno if Dre can achieve that same feel.

I was not a huge fan of Voodoo, especially since it took 5 years to surface. The songs seemed half-baked to me, more jam sessions with lyrics rather than thought-out compositions, but to each his own. A lot of people live and die by Voodoo, but Brown Sugar just seemed to have a more universality to it...you could listen to it while drinkin', fuckin', drivin', conversin'...Voodoo was more of a 'hole yourself up in your room and veg' type of record.

Plus Voodoo's dark undetones were such a stark contrast to Brown Sugar that I just didn't vibe off it as much as needed to.