Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectLet's be honest....
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=35484&mesg_id=35530
35530, Let's be honest....
Posted by CaptNish, Fri Aug-26-05 03:55 AM
>does jim's crew feel real embarrased that the world's most
>powerful rap label failed to push an easy to swallow roots
>record to gold

They don't. They're too busy counting their Em/50/Game money to give a shit....

Oh, and I forgot Gwen.

Seriously, I'm shocked that this much is going into pushing BE. I have no faith in the label system from an artistic standpoint. They obviously are feeling that the six degrees of KanYe West can push this album plat. I mean... for real.... a "Be" video and a "Testify" video are going to drum up 200+K worth of sales? I find that shit hard to believe.

This isn't hate on BE neither. That album is >tight<. But "the masses" ain't feelin' it. There's no club hopper for the 18-25 year old white girls to latch on to. And that's the problem.

A friend and I were having a Tipping Point conversation once, and I stated that "Don't Say Nothing" was a hotter beat than "Lean Back." And I was confused that that shit didn't heat up. And he said to me with out batting an eyelash "That's because you can't sing the hook." And I wanted to argue with him. But he's right. Fuck the song. Songwriting....crafting. Fuck it. Without a hook that hootchies can sing along to in the club while spilling beer on my nice new kicks, them motherfuckers couldn't care less about it. Sure... the beat'll get you so far, but without that "sing with it" ability... you're fucked.

And that's why I feel like BE will never go Plat no matter how much the label wants to get behind it. Because as amazing as Com is on the mic.... bitches won't care, because there's no "hooks"* for them to latch on to.

-- Nate

* - There are hooks.... but I mean... shit ain't dumb enough for club heads to be like "Aw, that's my shit!" "Food" was close.... but then.... the live cut ended up on the disc....

ps - Dear labelguy's boss (cause it ain't LG's fault): Y'all did seriously fuck up on the Tipping Point. Seriously. If Arista can make "Maybe" a hit single for NERD, then y'all missed MANY a boat on TTP....