Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectSometimes Art shouldn't be explained...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=34982&mesg_id=35054
35054, Sometimes Art shouldn't be explained...
Posted by mllowmman, Thu Jul-21-05 11:31 AM
or intellectualized. I feel that way because everyone is going to have a different view and perspective of what is written. Sometimes what you write can be interpreted way deeper by a listener and the writer themselves never even thought of it that way. Its like when you read a book its left up to your imagination to make the description of the characters in the story. That's why people get mad when books get turned into movies, sometimes it fucks it up.

Think about Bob Marley's song Crazy Ballhead. What is that song about? I've heard several people saying the song is about racist white people. But if you know about Rasta terminology anyone who isn't a rasta is known as a ballhead or someone who doesn't believe in their faith. No one knows for sure what its about, but its still a great song.

Sometimes its better if its left to the imagination, figure the shit out on your own. I like to believe that art has its own... identity so to speak. Once its out there, its no longer yours.

Like with Michael Jackson, people are talking about they can't listen to his songs anymore because of his trial and history with children. But are you really gonna tell me Don't Stop Til You Get Enough wasn't the shit?

So sometimes I think explaining shit just kind of defeats the whole purpose. I love Badu's music and I do like Otherside of the Game and Danger and buy her shit as long as its dope. I just think somethings are better left unsaid. Both for you and my benefit.