Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectbut these motherfuckers are all choosing to sell drugs
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=34982&mesg_id=35036
35036, but these motherfuckers are all choosing to sell drugs
Posted by spirit, Mon Jul-18-05 08:07 PM
when is the 'fuck the drug dealers' song going to come out? there are lots of people who struggle hard to make ends meet *without* selling drugs, the motherfuckers who sell drugs often do so as much to buy material things they don't need (chains, cars, etc) as for survival (in fact, I'd argue there are more motherfuckers doing it for fancy shit then doing it just to eat), AND selling the drugs fucks the hood up something awful (already dysfunctional people get hooked, can't raise their kids, spread disease (from sharing needles and/or prostitution to feed their habit), motherfuckers settle disputes with gunplay, and so on.

i mean, biggie's mom worked very hard to give him everything he *needed* and he himself admitted he started selling drugs to get things he *wanted* (an extra pair of expensive shoes, etc). and his story is far from rare. the police aren't making motherfuckers act like this. and when in the course of selling the shit to get fresh kicks and a new ride they kill someone's son? then what?

AND there are a whole generation of sistas in jail for being in house when it got raided or smuggling for their man. we're fucking killing ourselves, then making songs about it. and it ain't from a critical perspective. not at all.

I'm glad you brought up this song, because that song has already bothered the shit out of me. it reeks of defeatism. if we came out of goddamn slavery with nothing and survived, there's no way in hell somebody in 2005 can convince me that they 'have to' sell crack. bullshit.
____

HIP-HOP IS BACK ON DC RADIO!! WPFW 89.3 FM, Mon-Fri, 11pm-midnight (don't sleep! literally!)