Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectfavorite meshell memory...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=34631&mesg_id=34748
34748, favorite meshell memory...
Posted by invert, Sat Sep-24-05 09:12 AM
Nov? 1996 - show in London - first time i saw her. was gonna be followed by a rave/party of some sort - completely different event ("erebody out" kinda thing). meshell and her band had put on a blissful set, entire crowd was feelin it, amazing vibe. then management was sidling up back stage signaling her to get off (i'd worked my way to the front hopin for a little holy sweat or sumthin - so i could see the side area). with a look, she tells her band to keep jammin & walks to the side to talk to mgmt. they're arguin, meshell's all fiery, flips 'em off and walks back to her mic. tells the crowd (can't remember wording really) "they want me to get off the stage, but i don't think it's time yet" *boos, whistles* "y'all want me to stay on?" *crazy cheers* "fuck 'em" & tears into her bass. band moves into a new jam, crowd is losin it. one by one they start cuttin the sound - vocals first. meshell is fuckin furious - gets more into her bass. click - guitar gone. click - drums gone, click - bass gone. meshell's pacing around talking to her band, then comes off stage with a final finger for mgmt goes into the crowd & storms out, band following. dont get no better than that...

sidenote: spud from trainspotting was next to me "groovin" the whole time with his unfortunate, no-beat-feelin self. dude was with a FLY honey. damn.