Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectMe'Shell = The most important artist of our (X) generation....
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=34631&mesg_id=34665
34665, Me'Shell = The most important artist of our (X) generation....
Posted by Queal Jay, Mon Sep-12-05 04:04 PM
...hands down. Truly an original and she's suffered and prospered because of it.

I love OKP.com to death, but let's face it. When it comes to music this is primarily a hip-hop/contemporary R&B site, with the obvious exceptions for the "greats" (Marvin, Prince, MJ, etc.), sacred cows, and a passing of a legend. Outside of those parameters, you are not going to get much intelligent discussion or even views to a post if it's about the importance of Me'Shell, John Coltrane...anything outside of the accepted realm.

Also consider that the labels could be paying OKP.com for promoting the artist/new album, so if there's nothing to promote the site doesn't get updated (shit, Voodoo and Reflection Eternal are STILL on the site). Or, if the artist themselves are paying OKP.com and it didn't pan out, I can't see them putting more money into a site that either generated hate posts or didn't reap any benefits in sales, exposure, etc.

Me'Shell is an enigma because even though she signed with a high profile artist's label on a major, with each album she's gone increasingly away from self promotion and the spotlight. And the music has done the same. A lot of that has to be label politics, and the dropping of the ball by WB/Maverick with Cookie had to be the death knell. Every single album she's dropped has gotten rave reviews and critical acclaim, but after 12 years in the game she's still way under the radar.

She's written some amazing songs (Aquarium is THE HYPNOTIC!!!!), is an incredible producer/arranger/performer, and is thought provoking and unapologetic as a person and a artist. We need to champion everything she does.