Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectEvery Okayartist should BOW DOWN to Meshell's talents
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=34631&mesg_id=34631
34631, Every Okayartist should BOW DOWN to Meshell's talents
Posted by Airbreed, Sat Sep-24-05 01:00 PM
...im not trying to take anything away from thier own perspective blessings.

but look... meshell is the 'classical' personification of the black musician. she writes arranges, composes, produces and performs her own music, without any of the star fuckin'... all over her albums.

although she gets praise on these boards ...its nowhere near the kind of adulation all of the other okayatists get from newbies and charters alike.

again, im not trying to take anything away from the roots, my brother common or anyone else.

but dammit....

if i see one more game theory post...

if i see one more common post....

if i see one more eb post....

im'a throw a serious tantrum.

i remember when okp member 'M' used to post a good deal of material on meshell. he enlighted me into more of her talents and influences. and quite frankly...'M's website on meshell has FAAAAAR more information about this phenomenal woman, than okayplayer's linkage does.

www.freemyheart.com

meshell has a new album out... and her okp page is still stuck on comfort woman - circa 2004 updates.

...and i've seen little, next to no coverage or spotlight acknowedgement on 'Dance of the Infidel' ....an album that is being shamefully ignored in the industry and garnered as somekind of underground 'world music' disk.

yet instead, okp's who traverse through this site are fed heapings of the same old boring ass shit of compliation disks from mediocre artists and instrumental releases of albums that dropped more than three years ago.

now my rant isn't really about how okp.com runs thangs on thier site. im not a mod nor have i ever written a check for thier efforts to keep this fantastic site alive and breathing every year.

but if we are going to be open to music that will touch us and revere us into who were are as human beings ....meshell should be beholden as one of the greatests artists to live, in our lifetime.

this rant is only my opinion.... and mine alone.

but i think that if meshell got a third of the kind of recognition 'ye, common and other great artists, this site and its members covet ....meshell would be seen by the world as a force in modern day music beyond anyone's imagination.

support your girl y'all.