Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectEvery Okayartist should BOW DOWN to Meshell's talents
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=34631
34631, Every Okayartist should BOW DOWN to Meshell's talents
Posted by Airbreed, Sat Sep-24-05 01:00 PM
...im not trying to take anything away from thier own perspective blessings.

but look... meshell is the 'classical' personification of the black musician. she writes arranges, composes, produces and performs her own music, without any of the star fuckin'... all over her albums.

although she gets praise on these boards ...its nowhere near the kind of adulation all of the other okayatists get from newbies and charters alike.

again, im not trying to take anything away from the roots, my brother common or anyone else.

but dammit....

if i see one more game theory post...

if i see one more common post....

if i see one more eb post....

im'a throw a serious tantrum.

i remember when okp member 'M' used to post a good deal of material on meshell. he enlighted me into more of her talents and influences. and quite frankly...'M's website on meshell has FAAAAAR more information about this phenomenal woman, than okayplayer's linkage does.

www.freemyheart.com

meshell has a new album out... and her okp page is still stuck on comfort woman - circa 2004 updates.

...and i've seen little, next to no coverage or spotlight acknowedgement on 'Dance of the Infidel' ....an album that is being shamefully ignored in the industry and garnered as somekind of underground 'world music' disk.

yet instead, okp's who traverse through this site are fed heapings of the same old boring ass shit of compliation disks from mediocre artists and instrumental releases of albums that dropped more than three years ago.

now my rant isn't really about how okp.com runs thangs on thier site. im not a mod nor have i ever written a check for thier efforts to keep this fantastic site alive and breathing every year.

but if we are going to be open to music that will touch us and revere us into who were are as human beings ....meshell should be beholden as one of the greatests artists to live, in our lifetime.

this rant is only my opinion.... and mine alone.

but i think that if meshell got a third of the kind of recognition 'ye, common and other great artists, this site and its members covet ....meshell would be seen by the world as a force in modern day music beyond anyone's imagination.

support your girl y'all.

34632, Yep.
Posted by Buck, Fri Sep-09-05 12:42 PM
34633, RE: Every Okayartist should BOW DOWN to Meshell's talents
Posted by Airbreed, Fri Sep-09-05 03:55 PM
bump
34634, shes a musical goddess in my book
Posted by betelgeuse, Fri Sep-09-05 03:56 PM
>meshell has a new album out... and her okp page is still stuck
>on comfort woman - circa 2004 updates.

this is scandalous, but i dont know if okp.com is to blame.
but this goes for all okpartist sites--little to no updates unless
theres an "important" album dropping ■
34635, I hear ya.
Posted by massoul, Fri Sep-09-05 11:06 PM
34636, I don't do this kind of thing normally.... but..
Posted by w7LL, Sat Sep-10-05 12:40 AM
ME'SHELL >>>>>>>> (__fill_in_the_blank__)
34637, RE: Every Okayartist should BOW DOWN to Meshell's talents
Posted by Voodoochilde, Sat Sep-10-05 06:26 AM
>this rant is only my opinion.... and mine alone.
>

no, not yours alone....i share it too...

and i too have been bummed that she continues to be overlooked by the masses, and even worse by fellow OKplayers. I know i know...everyone can't dig everyone...but it really blows me away that more folks aren't blown away by her consistent, creative and straight up classic breadth of work...

I haven't been web surfing quite as much as i used to...and since its footbal season when i hit okp i've been jumping to the Sports section first...but when i do make my way to the OKP Artist board i'm always looking for a Meshell post...but i'm usually dissapointed...even though I posted a few Meshell threads sometime back unfortunately them bad boys dropped off pretty darn fast...

that said, i've been on the verge of a rant such as this for a while...so thank you for sparking me into action...

for now I'm gonna ^up^ this thread...but i say we try to keep it alive with reviews of her songs throughout her career, reviews of her live performances, interview clips and any meshell related personal stories you might have...yeah i know it may end up being only just a few of us sharing info & opinions between ourselves...preaching to the choir so to speak...but so what. If only one more person ends up enjoying her stuff for the first time because they happened across this thread then it'll be worth it...

its all about the music

...to be continued...
34638, one of my more recent meshell related memories
Posted by betelgeuse, Sat Sep-10-05 06:58 AM
i went to meshells gig at paradiso, amsterdam early this year. she was on tour promoting the "dance of the infidel" album. dope album btw. and i remember being blown away by all musicians onstage. (including the dj w/ dope additional scratches, samples and what not.) the audience -including myself- had never heard most of the music performed that night. but that didn't stop me from enjoying every minute of the show. i had a smile on my face throughout the entire performance. there was little sign of recognition amongst the crowd.. till the encore. imo the shows climax. the encore seemed spontaneous for a change. and in stead of playing one of her own "hits" the band started playing radioheads "the national anthem" out of the blue. meshell doing that opening basspart made folks lose their minds! i know i did ■
34639, RE: one of my more recent meshell related memories
Posted by Voodoochilde, Sat Sep-10-05 07:11 AM
I heard rumors that that Amsterdam show was one of the best on the tour...i heard the band was in a zone that night...supoosedly there is a recording of it out there somewhere but i havent been lucky enough to track it down yet...at the moment it's #1 on my list of musical treasures to dig up...
34640, meshell busting out the opening bars of 'the national anthem'
Posted by shockzilla, Thu Sep-15-05 10:24 AM
oh my.

BOOOM!
34641, meshell live on kcrw
Posted by betelgeuse, Sat Sep-10-05 07:25 AM
http://www.kcrw.com/find/find_results.php3?search_keywords=meshell&submit=Search&any_desc=meshell&words=meshell&past_shows=all&radiodate=button_fixed&sort_order=AirDate&order_type=ReverseOrder&show_code=&AllOrAny=all&end_date=&exclude=%2Fpl%2F&restrict=&search_archives=on&search_static=on&search_playlists=off&start_date=

a link to several audio/video links of the various performances she did on "morning becomes eclectic".. ■
34642, I love this performnce.
Posted by Scrapluv, Sat Sep-10-05 01:37 PM
I've been searching for a downloadable version
34643, RE: I love this performnce.
Posted by Voodoochilde, Sat Sep-10-05 02:29 PM
oh, you mean this one...?

hxxp://s7.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=02YQ3FOCEAOFY3NWK31DW27H0Y

yeah, i love that one too...

you'll need to 'unstuff' it first, its compressed to reduce size....

tt to be continued....
34644, great look! is this the video?
Posted by Scrapluv, Sat Sep-10-05 04:23 PM
34645, RE: great look! is this the video?
Posted by Voodoochilde, Sat Sep-10-05 04:31 PM
nah just audio, sorry...
34646, RE: meshell live on kcrw
Posted by dred99, Sat Sep-10-05 06:25 PM
thank you very much for this, been looking for some good quality recordings from the comfort woman album
34647, watched it last night, i loved it...
Posted by earthseed, Thu Sep-15-05 07:45 AM
made me pull out comfort woman this morning.

great inspiration.
34648, live clip from an old 2000 show...
Posted by Voodoochilde, Sat Sep-10-05 10:07 AM
sound quality isn't perfect but the performance is 13 minutes of 100% electricity IMO...

s10.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2PZMI7K3WXDH63PMT4BDJG9AUC

let me know what you think...
34649, from 2000 gig...
Posted by Voodoochilde, Sat Sep-10-05 10:32 AM
the sound quality isn't perfect but the performance is 13minutes of 100% electricity IMO...

http://s10.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2PZMI7K3WXDH63PMT4BDJG9AUC

let me know what you think

(whoops sorry bout the double post...thought the first one didn't go through but i guess it did)

to be continued
34650, dope stuff
Posted by betelgeuse, Sat Sep-10-05 03:20 PM
you got any more from that show? ■
34651, RE: dope stuff
Posted by Voodoochilde, Sat Sep-10-05 04:05 PM
hxxp://s51.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1FSJGOJWTI0F50K3ZISZ8DOTIP
34652, RE: from 2000 gig...
Posted by DomCristal, Sat Sep-10-05 04:17 PM
thanks!

what show are these from?
34653, RE: from 2000 gig...
Posted by Voodoochilde, Sat Sep-10-05 04:32 PM
one of the Jazzfests in Europe...
34654, 2002 easy going web jam session...
Posted by Voodoochilde, Sun Sep-11-05 12:15 AM

hxxp://s36.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0AP0F4P4YDWNX3QP441AZ6CDNV
34655, RE: your the best!
Posted by Airbreed, Sun Sep-11-05 12:51 AM
BUMP!
34656, RE: 2002 easy going web jam session...
Posted by dred99, Mon Sep-12-05 12:30 AM
what file extension is .sit??
34657, RE: 2002 easy going web jam session...
Posted by Voodoochilde, Mon Sep-12-05 05:47 AM
its compression software named "Stuffit" (like a zipped file)...(there are three songs on within the file file so i compresssed it so they could be uploaded/downloaded once.)

If you have 'Stuffit' software (i think its free and downloadable out there) youd just need to unstuff that 'sit' file by doubleclicking on it..then you should see a folder with all three tunes inside...

..fear not though, if you cant find Stuffit out there i'm planning to upload each song individually unstuffed later on tonight...along with some other live goodies too...

but that wont be until later so if you cant wait till then you may wanna see if you can find the free Stuffit software

to be continued....
34658, i just changed the extension to "mp3" and it worked
Posted by betelgeuse, Mon Sep-12-05 06:08 AM
34659, RE: Every Okayartist should BOW DOWN to Meshell's talents
Posted by CherNic, Sun Sep-11-05 01:34 AM
My fav song is hers from the Love & Basketball Album....lawd she killed it
34660, live version link (some of audience noise though)...
Posted by Voodoochilde, Sun Sep-11-05 02:42 AM
>My fav song is hers from the Love & Basketball Album....lawd
>she killed it

live version of that one (lots of audience noise though)...

hxxp://s13.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1G9T9CQKGH0R20GSOSBIX9KX9E

34661, you know i'm with you on this one
Posted by INKtheZionCrewRep, Sun Sep-11-05 02:01 AM
can we get a Me'shell month in OkayArtist??

by the way, my screenname's lame
http://www.last.fm/user/KennyFresh/
34662, RE: seriously. she's long overdue for one.
Posted by Airbreed, Sun Sep-11-05 02:17 AM
34663, RE: why dean big bro'almighteeeee....
Posted by revolution75, Sun Sep-11-05 05:21 PM
i could bever understand why dean big brother almightee
aka ?uestlove doesn't drool all over her
like he has over some other so-called chosen ones
every project she's done has been great
if there ever was an heir 2 prince's throne
it's me'shell
34664, Why did I see this before? I stay wondering the same things...
Posted by earthseed, Sun Sep-11-05 11:26 PM
that you've pointed out in this post.

I go to every concert, have every cd that this woman has put out and yet the place that is supposed to claim her as an artist has no info on her.

Yes, I go to freemyheart.com on the regular to get my fix and find out more information about the talent that is Meshell.

BTW, her latest cd is THAT shit!!! The Spirit Music concert was lovely also.

She has something cookin' later in the year or the beginning of the year, so maybe by then something new will pop up on the boards about her.

oh, and when she was in concert here in the Midwest, I posted the dates and that post fell to the last page within minutes...

where's the love yall?!?
34665, Me'Shell = The most important artist of our (X) generation....
Posted by Queal Jay, Mon Sep-12-05 04:04 PM
...hands down. Truly an original and she's suffered and prospered because of it.

I love OKP.com to death, but let's face it. When it comes to music this is primarily a hip-hop/contemporary R&B site, with the obvious exceptions for the "greats" (Marvin, Prince, MJ, etc.), sacred cows, and a passing of a legend. Outside of those parameters, you are not going to get much intelligent discussion or even views to a post if it's about the importance of Me'Shell, John Coltrane...anything outside of the accepted realm.

Also consider that the labels could be paying OKP.com for promoting the artist/new album, so if there's nothing to promote the site doesn't get updated (shit, Voodoo and Reflection Eternal are STILL on the site). Or, if the artist themselves are paying OKP.com and it didn't pan out, I can't see them putting more money into a site that either generated hate posts or didn't reap any benefits in sales, exposure, etc.

Me'Shell is an enigma because even though she signed with a high profile artist's label on a major, with each album she's gone increasingly away from self promotion and the spotlight. And the music has done the same. A lot of that has to be label politics, and the dropping of the ball by WB/Maverick with Cookie had to be the death knell. Every single album she's dropped has gotten rave reviews and critical acclaim, but after 12 years in the game she's still way under the radar.

She's written some amazing songs (Aquarium is THE HYPNOTIC!!!!), is an incredible producer/arranger/performer, and is thought provoking and unapologetic as a person and a artist. We need to champion everything she does.
34666, RE: Me'Shell = The most important artist of our (X) generation....
Posted by BlakRenaissance, Mon Sep-12-05 04:22 PM
This is looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong overdue. Dance of the Infidel was the best new albulm i touched this year, hands down. i dont know why nigg's be sleepin on her. i thought it was because im in nashville,tn. but sadly i see it like that everywhere. but you know how people like changing the subject when topics are serious....and thats most of her music. people dont listen because it requires to think and feel. i dare 1 person to smoke a spliff and listen to BITTER all the way through and not shed a tear. people run from that.
34667, BITTER IS MY THERAPY!
Posted by earthseed, Mon Sep-12-05 05:20 PM
I love that damn cd. The first copy I had I played to much to the point where it wouldn't play. I took it everywhere.

All of her cd's continue to stay in rotation.

And no one else can make a song to get you in the mood better than her.

Who else can sing these words sound like sweet nothings in your ear...

"Put your tongue in my mouth, make me wet...lay me down, spread my legs...i wanna feel you, inside me"
34668, I wholeheartedly support this post
Posted by el_rey, Mon Sep-12-05 09:21 PM
Me'Shell is the truth!

I don't even know where to begin on this one.

Every album is classic IMO. From funk, to smoothed out soul, to jazz, to folk, she has it on LOCK.

BTW, if anyone has her most recent MOntreaux Jazz performance (video) in some kind of burnable format, I'd LOVE to get it! I can only find the stream.
34669, you may want to post that request...
Posted by earthseed, Tue Sep-13-05 09:41 AM
on www.freemyheart.com, you stand a better chance of getting it there.
34670, AUDIO *LINK
Posted by dred99, Tue Sep-13-05 11:26 AM
http://s7.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=37G78SZJPG3D62LCLHPAGF39RE

ripped/edited the audio
radio sessions post-comfort woman release...meshell is sick, underrated as fuk, and I 'm talking bout beyond the OKP boards.

*throw it up and i'll rip it, good quality streams only though
34671, Her music is gonna be huge in ten years
Posted by prophet j, Tue Sep-13-05 03:15 PM
she does so much with so little. she'll take one chord and transform it into a beautiful magnanimous epic of a piece. a truly wonderful producer.

- - - - -

"ask beavis, i get nothing but head" - big l

peace & love
34672, RE: Every Okayartist should BOW DOWN to Meshell's talents
Posted by Airbreed, Tue Sep-13-05 11:41 PM
bump
34673, 'Body' live...
Posted by Voodoochilde, Wed Sep-14-05 08:15 AM
I'm hoping to put more clips from some live gigs later this week, but i'm running late so this one will have to do for now...

its from the free DLs they put up when Comfort Woman was released...

hxxp://s46.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2VW0EF78DNF8U24VDW3CSL038D

to be continued...
34674, RE: 'Body' live...
Posted by dred99, Wed Sep-14-05 11:19 AM
Voodoo, can you hit me up, curious to what soundboard meshell recordings you might have
Thanks
34675, CO-FUCKIN'-SIGN
Posted by NotYaAvgBrotha, Wed Sep-14-05 11:57 AM
Meshell is The Truth, and all I see on OKP is some shit about Skillz or Jean Grae... I don't get that at all!
34676, RE: exactly.
Posted by Airbreed, Wed Sep-14-05 12:25 PM
- i have nothing against skillz because 'fam is a vet in the game.

- i don't have anything against jean either. but that's because i really don't know much about her music.

yet, regardless.... even if both artists were to be merged together, not even a fraction of thier talents can match me'shell's. i'll be as bold to say that me'shell is karen carpenter, horace silver, prince and led zeppelin all rolled into one.

imo... me'shell is our bach and john coltrane.

and im really annoyed that okayplayer has a 'blind' support system for her genius.

it's like, okayplayer has a picasso painting in thier possesion but they don't know where to hang it up at.

34677, wow
Posted by betelgeuse, Wed Sep-14-05 12:41 PM
>i'll be as bold to say that me'shell is karen
>carpenter, horace silver, prince and led zeppelin all rolled
>into one.
>
>imo... me'shell is our bach and john coltrane.
>
>and im really annoyed that okayplayer has a 'blind' support
>system for her genius.
>
>it's like, okayplayer has a picasso painting in thier
>possesion but they don't know where to hang it up at.

i wouldnt put it like that, but she *is* very, very good ■
34678, RE: lol ...as you can tell, im a HUGE fan of hers.
Posted by Airbreed, Thu Sep-15-05 11:25 AM
34679, I see you on the boards at FMH.com, alot...
Posted by earthseed, Wed Sep-14-05 10:47 PM
I was wondering when you would make it to this post! lol
34680, I LOVE me some Me'shell
Posted by NotYaAvgBrotha, Thu Sep-15-05 08:19 AM
I couldn't stay out of this post. Meshell is the first artist since Prince to get me excited about MUSIC.... I ride HARD for Meshell.

Actually the way I look at it, only 7, maybe 8 of those OKArtist deserve to be up there. But then again that is only my opinion.

34681, I was telling someone about the clips that I was watching lstnite..
Posted by earthseed, Thu Sep-15-05 09:53 AM
and he said that he hadn't listened to her music, because she is bi.

I don't see how you can totally disregard great music because of the private life of an artist. that comment slapped me in the face - can't fathom dating someone with such a closed mind.

I mean, I can listen to anything that she makes. Hell just hearing her speak is melodic...I can't even fathom not listening to her music, I'm spellbound.

I mean, I love all the okartists, I do believe that meshell gets no play or love from the people on the boards. if i could design pages, i would have done one for the okboards to update.
34682, "Stay" live from a 2000 jazzfest
Posted by Voodoochilde, Wed Sep-14-05 09:44 PM
not great sound quality though...

hxxp://s46.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3C3W5E82PBKMZ25AYVEPYPGNPE
34683, "Nocturnal Sunshine" live from 1994...
Posted by Voodoochilde, Wed Sep-14-05 10:09 PM
includes Wah Wah Watson, Joshua Redman, Dave Fiuczynski amoung others...

hxxp://s43.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3PNP4RVQULBO7168PHE4TD9S1I
34684, all these downloads are very much appreciated
Posted by betelgeuse, Thu Sep-15-05 08:26 AM
34685, my sentiments exactly! there are ppl here that need to see this...
Posted by earthseed, Thu Sep-15-05 10:10 AM
to understand why i'm trying not to let this post die.
34686, 'Step Into The Projects' live 1996 TV appearance (audio)
Posted by Voodoochilde, Thu Sep-15-05 10:31 PM
track 1...

hxxp://s11.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1BGYD1CUBS10G0VO9QLLLUW8Q7

34687, "Free My Heart" live 1996 tv appearance (audio)
Posted by Voodoochilde, Thu Sep-15-05 10:45 PM
track 2....

hxxp://s6.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=14Y3M3Z3SQW1C1BGOS7GEUCWE7
34688, 'God Shiva' live 1996 tv appearance (audio)
Posted by Voodoochilde, Thu Sep-15-05 10:52 PM
track 3...

hxxp://s9.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3Q1KVQJWMY21W0BATEFEKSKVLY
34689, "Satisfy" live 2002(?)
Posted by Voodoochilde, Thu Sep-15-05 11:00 PM
"Satisfy" live 2002(?)...

hxxp://s9.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2IVR3JECQXTBH0I438FOCDV78I
34690, "Pain"...Chaka on lead vocals...
Posted by Voodoochilde, Thu Sep-15-05 11:15 PM
Meshell on Bass as well as some other instruments, she also serves as Producer...

hxxp://s51.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2CD249N6NMS6V271VLDITMIRZB

(background...Meshell Produced and cowrote an ENTIRE Chaka Khan album back in the mid 90s that, sad to say, was never released in full...parts surfaced on Chakas Greatest hits (remember the groovy "Never Miss the Water"? I love that tune)...apparently "Pain" was a track from those sessions as well. BTW the tune Pain was actually written by some purple lovin', boot wearin, tossed salad hairdo havin royal dude...although i don't think he had any input into this actual recording though...
34691, "Good Intentions" live from 2003
Posted by Voodoochilde, Thu Sep-15-05 11:21 PM

hxxp://s40.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=334VEIZ2H2YZ939XV652GT4PR8
34692, you are killing me
Posted by betelgeuse, Fri Sep-16-05 07:05 AM
thank you, thank you ■
34693, glad to share...more good stuff coming this weekend...
Posted by Voodoochilde, Fri Sep-16-05 08:13 AM
34694, yesterday's & today's update
Posted by NotYaAvgBrotha, Fri Sep-16-05 02:30 PM
Today is a pic of Jean Grae, and yesterday Skillz..... Okayplayer might need to change the name to anyol'player....
34695, RE: basically.
Posted by Airbreed, Fri Sep-16-05 02:46 PM

34696, LOL
Posted by el_rey, Fri Sep-16-05 05:10 PM
niiiiice.
34697, Thank you for posting about my favorite artist.
Posted by TommyWhy, Fri Sep-16-05 04:48 PM
I can't really put into words how I feel about her... she is a major inspiration for me as a bassist alone. When you put all her other talents on top of that, fuggedaboutit.
34698, RE: Every Okayartist should BOW DOWN to Meshell's talents
Posted by bamaredboneclay, Fri Sep-16-05 05:19 PM
Peace Breed,

Thanks to this post I just went and bought DoI and I am in some sorta of euphoria just jammin out to it. I hadn't realized that the cd was released...she's always been bad-but this jazz piece is just on another level! the comparison to bitches brew is def' warranted.

Blk poets die from not being read.

-Don L. Lee
34699, Outside Your Door... live from Luna 1999
Posted by Voodoochilde, Sat Sep-17-05 05:39 AM

hxxp://s38.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=24HY0QW7K4KMZ1GX30HEMXBL6B

34700, "Loyalty" Live from Luna 1999
Posted by Voodoochilde, Sat Sep-17-05 05:55 AM

hxxp://s44.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=30BHAYM5JJZV60G4QCL5BUY82A

34701, "Free My Heart" live from Luna 1999
Posted by Voodoochilde, Sat Sep-17-05 06:15 AM

hxxp://s4.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=33U5BIMYGE40B1E2M2UWDC65GC
34702, "The Way" live from Lina 1999
Posted by Voodoochilde, Sat Sep-17-05 06:29 AM
with a bit of a joyful raging scream...

hxxp://s37.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=03Z9LGCXYHN9A2X6EJL7P69M3K
34703, "Niggaman" live from Luna 1999
Posted by Voodoochilde, Sat Sep-17-05 06:38 AM

hxxp://s48.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1VIEZ70EFORQW36NIQJ210RG7K
34704, "IntroJam-P.P.-LoveSong#1" live from B.B. Kings
Posted by Voodoochilde, Sat Sep-17-05 06:56 AM

hxxp://s48.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2IT4KPJ8VHV4I0DB83PL4VQ2HX
34705, "Quentin Mack" and "Earth" from 2002 radio jamsession
Posted by Voodoochilde, Sat Sep-17-05 12:49 PM

hxxp://s45.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=320YLBO7GSMZT2S3MUBX9YZKR5
34706, thanks so much for all these!!
Posted by w7LL, Sat Sep-17-05 01:42 PM
34707, Quentin Mack is one of the dopest basslines in music history
Posted by el_rey, Sun Sep-18-05 09:17 AM
I hear she did a studio version of the song for Cookie, but it didn't make the cut. THAT I would love to hear!
34708, "Fellowship", "God Fear & Money", "Faithful" from 2002 radio jamsession
Posted by Voodoochilde, Sat Sep-17-05 03:24 PM
nice early version of "Fellowship". This session took place long before Comfort Woman...in fact i think this session took place in support of Cookie the album before Comfort Woman.....at any rate, enjoy...

hxxp://s45.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=180YCT2QMHNPA1I84VKXDCH864

...to be continued....
34709, once again
Posted by betelgeuse, Sat Sep-17-05 03:35 PM
thank you, thank you ■
34710, Live in Tokyo 2003 (part 1)
Posted by Voodoochilde, Sun Sep-18-05 06:15 AM
The first track sets the tone for this gig at the Tokyo Blue Note...Meshell & crew took their time and evoked a 'spacey smokey funky groove' atmosphere...they slow the tempo down on many of the tunes they played that evening...and as she and her bands are known to do, they changed up arrangements on several tracks, so much so that initially you may not even recognize a few of em until the lyrics kick in...thats part of what makes her shows so good to me, the unexpected, the interesting change-ups, even the farmiliar is new...

the first 5 tracks of that are compressed in one file at the link below...

hxxp://s41.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1JTXR7RYHIBOQ2SOQB2EBY0LI8

I'll try to put up the individual tracks later for those not able to expand the compressed file...

to be continued...

34711, RE: Live in Tokyo 2003 (part 1, track1)
Posted by Voodoochilde, Sun Sep-18-05 06:22 AM

hxxp://s41.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0C73NQYX1VP2V22Z8QA71I42PJ

34712, RE: Live in Tokyo 2003 (part 1, track 2)
Posted by Voodoochilde, Sun Sep-18-05 06:28 AM

hxxp://s41.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2ESIIAA3HVFL40BT7FSJGJJ9YK
34713, RE: Live in Tokyo 2003 (part 1, track 3)
Posted by Voodoochilde, Sun Sep-18-05 06:32 AM

hxxp://s18.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0N2G87835M95D0VTE0K43W1T8M
34714, RE: Live in Tokyo 2003 (part 1, track 4)
Posted by Voodoochilde, Sun Sep-18-05 07:06 AM

hxxp://s18.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1ZLMSC7UQNE6U3H5U10J9TX42P

34715, RE: Live in Tokyo 2003 (part 1, track 5)
Posted by Voodoochilde, Sun Sep-18-05 07:13 AM

hxxp://s37.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=28K04CLRR7WDJ2OGWKZ1GBZ98X
34716, RE: i'm nominating you for okayplayer president!
Posted by Airbreed, Sun Sep-18-05 10:54 AM
thank you very, very, very MUCH!!!
34717, SECOND
Posted by invert, Sat Sep-24-05 10:34 AM
thanks, man. these tracks are tight!
34718, yo voodoochilde
Posted by betelgeuse, Tue Sep-20-05 09:31 AM
do you know if there are any bootlegs of meshells "dance of the infidel" tour? ■
34719, RE: yo voodoochilde
Posted by Voodoochilde, Wed Sep-21-05 07:49 AM
>do you know if there are any bootlegs of meshells "dance of
>the infidel" tour? ?

...stay tuned ... this weekend sometime perhaps...
34720, bump
Posted by lavendarhill, Mon Sep-19-05 06:39 PM
34721, If you were to start me on Meshell, where would you start me?
Posted by Quills_N_Ink, Tue Sep-20-05 10:12 AM
I want to listen!
34722, RE: If you were to start me on Meshell, where would you start me?
Posted by invert, Tue Sep-20-05 10:36 AM
for me, cookie is amazing, but you gotta hear her whole body of work to really get how incredibly talented and groundbreaking she is. to appreciate that, i think you gotta start at the beginning: Plantation Lullabies, and just move on through her music.

the reason i'm blown away by her (well, primary of the 1000) is that she is constantly evolving and with each successive album you can see her building. i think you can feel that best if you look at her historically. you will not regret a single album. trust.
34723, RE: If you were to start me on Meshell, where would you start me?
Posted by Voodoochilde, Sat Sep-24-05 05:12 AM
Yeah i think you should start at the begining as Invert said...and go chronologically, that way you can see the expansion the exploration as it happened. And, when you do it that way, chronologically, take into consideration the time each record came out, because i think thats signifigant too...knowing the context of the era when each particular record came out makes it even more impressive and shows how ahead of the curve she was (and is)...

"Plantation Lullabies" - 1993 (two years before Brown Sugar)
"Peace Beyond Passion" - 1996
"Bitter" - 1999
"Cookie" - 2001
"Comfort Woman" - 2003
"Spirit Music Jamia, Dance of the Infidel" - 2005

and don't overlook her many soundtrack & compilation contributions...she's put out a cd or twos worth of non album tracks to various soundracks and compilation records & guest spots...and the stuff thats been on those is just as impressive as the stuff she puts on her own albums...

for me they are all great timeless records (in fact I popped "Peace Beyond Passion" in the player today for the first time in a long time and was once again reminded of how i loved that record back then and how wonderful it still sounds even today....

...and as i listened to it today i was also once again taken back to the first live show i caught of hers back in 1996 or 1997 on a tour promoting it...as full and rich as her records are, once i caught her LIVE...whew... that was IT for me. I was in it for the long haul...there were only a few, and i mean a FEW people at the show that night (there was a torrential rainstorm so that could've had something to do with it) but it didn't matter... Meshell and the band didn't seem to care...they played like there was a full house...like there was no tomorrow...brought the roof down and blew my mind...vibrant alive spontaneous experimental...REAL...it was the REAL LIVE music that i had been looking for ...

yeah, start from the beginning and work your way through her records, if i get an ok i may put up some of the hard to find soundtrack cuts and a few remixes she was involved in too...and do check out the 'live' stuff thats going up too...the live versions are often different than the recorded versions, she and the band like to play around with arrangements and have fun with tunes ( i LOVE that shit)...

so check some stuff out and then post back about what you thought...what you dug the most (or even what you didn't dig)...

...enjoy the ride...
34724, "Dead Nigga Boulevard" live Tokyo 2003 (part 2, track 6)
Posted by Voodoochilde, Wed Sep-21-05 06:19 AM
hxxp://s32.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1BUVRTSMIXKFO3CRNK26T6NJG8

notice how different this version is from the first version of Dead Nigga Boulevard that i put up earlier? Thats just another example of how through great creativity & great improvisational players her live shows full of unexpected twists & turns...musically you should expect the unexpected...

By the way this show is from the last tour she did with her great GREAT band of 10 years "The Bretheren". Unfortunately they disbanded after this...but they gave me ten years of straight up musical magic and inspiration without a doubt and they live on in the handful recordings that are out there....

the core group consisted of (excuse my mispellings)

Meshell on Bass & vocals and sometimes keys too
Federico Gonzales Pena on Keys and vocals
Alan Cato on Guitar and vocals
Gene Lake on Drums (sometimes Sean Rickman would fill in as well)
David Dyson on bass

There were other musicians that would often join in the live creation as well, but this wa the core group that i saw at most of the shows i was lucky enough to catch...an amazing group of folks whos work together should go down in the musical books as the best of their era (in my my own experience i have never been more satisfied than while attending some of their gigs). Historcal stuff they deserve any & all the accolades that come there way and then some...

go to http://www.freemyheart.com to learn & see even more about these cats...

34725, Can we get another link for this track please?
Posted by lavendarhill, Wed Sep-21-05 06:39 PM
The link is not working for me. Appreciate it!
34726, RE: Can we get another link for this track please?
Posted by Voodoochilde, Wed Sep-21-05 08:07 PM
i'll re-up it later this week if its not working, but i tried it just now and it seemed to work fine.

try it again and see what happens..dont forget xx->tt..

At what point are you having problems...are you able to DL it but the file doesn't openwork, or are you not even able to DL it at all?

anyone else having problems with this one?
34727, It keeps saying the server has reset in the middle of DL'ing
Posted by lavendarhill, Wed Sep-21-05 08:53 PM
I've tried it 4 or 5 times. Thanks anyway.
34728, RE: It keeps saying the server has reset in the middle of DL'ing
Posted by Voodoochilde, Wed Sep-21-05 09:09 PM
thats weird. i just Dl'ed it all the way with no problem.

try this one, see if it works...

hxxp://s29.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2ZLM0ZI3IQARY3J5449TTXPKHQ
34729, "Free My Heart" live Tokyo 2003 (part 2, track 4)
Posted by Voodoochilde, Wed Sep-21-05 06:54 AM

hxxp://s39.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2J0TM49H2GEB20LEANU9DNH5BR

again notice the arrangement shifts they make...with them there always seems to be a fresh take on tunes...makes if fun for the players AND fun for us listeners who appreciate the true live living spontaneous musical energry they create...

34730, "Dead Nigga Boulevard" live 2000 (re-up for comparison & latecomers)
Posted by Voodoochilde, Wed Sep-21-05 07:15 AM
hxxp://s38.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0B1QBHGE6BTD0OLQQN0SEXWT5

check this arrangement from a 2000 European Jazzfest against the arrangement in Tokyo a few posts up...very different, almost completely different...BOTH of them are the shit if you ask me... but if i had to pick i'd choose the 2000 version but i'm biased because that 200version closest to the arrangement they played the FIRST time i ever heard this song...it was live in person at the 9:30 club in DC...and it straight up blew-my-mind...
34731, "The Way" live @ 11-17-1999
Posted by Voodoochilde, Thu Sep-22-05 07:29 AM

hxxp://s18.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3CF705SIJJ60Y0YP76NC66SGU7

yet another cool take on this tune. Sounds like they are having a ball too...I'll post several more from this gig later...
34732, *applauds*
Posted by betelgeuse, Thu Sep-22-05 08:24 AM
34733, RE: *applauds*
Posted by Voodoochilde, Sat Sep-24-05 04:43 AM
I know, right? Thats ANOTHER smoking and unique version of "The Way" isn't it? They are just going AT it musically, and Meshell & band & the crowd are loose and just havin fun...great gig...
34734, #100
Posted by betelgeuse, Thu Sep-22-05 08:31 AM
lol

i couldnt help it ■
34735, RE: lol
Posted by Airbreed, Thu Sep-22-05 10:43 AM
no doubt.
34736, what do ya'll think?
Posted by Voodoochilde, Thu Sep-22-05 12:59 PM
Hey ya’ll whats up…
I’m at work now so more goodies will have to wait till later...but the folks who've already DL'ed some of this stuff and had a chance to listen…I’d really LOVE to hear what you dig, what you didn’t dig and why on both…I always enjoy hearing others perspectives on stuff ...so yeah, that’s my only request really…I’ll keep putting stuff up, you listen and let it simmer for a bit and then post back your reviews at some point about your favorites and why you like em or didn't…

...whaddya think?

...Discuss amongst yourselves…

to be continued...

and don't forget to go to…

http://www.freemyheart.com

for THE COMPLETE historical record of Meshells ENTIRE career…from the beginning to the latest & greatest…interviews, reviews, lyrics, video clips, audio clips, discography, news updates, message boards…you name it its got it…

34737, some stuff i havent had the chance to listen to
Posted by betelgeuse, Fri Sep-23-05 06:29 AM
ill have a listen this weekend and give you my response ■
34738, "Beautiful / Outside Your Door" live @ 11-17-1999
Posted by Voodoochilde, Fri Sep-23-05 06:03 AM
...follows "The Way" from a few posts up...

hxxp://s41.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1K0XMOQ2VU37V2415WTZFT9M8D
34739, "...Stay..." live @ 11-17-1999
Posted by Voodoochilde, Fri Sep-23-05 06:14 AM
follows "Beautiful / Outside Your Door" from above...

hxxp://s52.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0A4K8CEFP8NZ702IEQDNG87IA3
34740, "...Stay" live @ 11-17-1999
Posted by Voodoochilde, Fri Sep-23-05 06:15 AM
continued from above...

hxxp://s49.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0MVR94F45W68X0H9GBDB0TY3UE
34741, "Loyalty" live @ 11-17-1999
Posted by Voodoochilde, Fri Sep-23-05 06:19 AM
follows "...Stay" from above...

hxxp://s41.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0IFE98IL09JQT25461634ZDNI5

visit http://www.freemyheart.com and surf within for all things Meshell related...video, audio, interviews, reviews, news updates...
34742, I love some MeShell...
Posted by Skyezgrrl, Fri Sep-23-05 12:51 PM
As for all of you posting about why she's not getting that airplay and or respect. Come on now... Folks are "marketing images" today not rewarding talent.

Meshell has Talent and is still seen as that Bald bass playig Bi(gay) chick... and while that may have beentrue inthe fcuking 90's it's been more than a decade of strong good intelligent soulful music coming from our girl.

I mean damn was there a soundtrack that she didn't light up in the 90's "wednesday release" movies? (marketed to Black folks- movies)

Yes she was angry and workd out some issues on wax but damn isn't that what Artists are supposed to do... OKP and the music industry overall does a piss poor job of giving us talented folks to enjoy.

MeShell should not be on anyone's back burner gay str8 or Bi music is music and she's damned good at it.
imo

Dee
34743, Air for Attorney General
Posted by jackie chiles, Fri Sep-23-05 02:42 PM
cuz he just made his case.

Word.

Rufus and Chaka Khan - Live at the Savoy
Lifesytles - Bugz in the Attic
Max Roach - It's Time
Little Brother - Chitlin' Circuit 1.5

http://www.myspace.com/jahsonic
34744, Me'Shell live in Paris
Posted by el_rey, Fri Sep-23-05 07:43 PM
this is what this file came to me as. From what I can tell by the sound and setlist, its from 96-97, my favorite years from Me'Shell.

s44.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3OFR19UDUJW9037LSE2TU3DUTH

enjoy fam. this will show you once and for all (if you were ever for some reason on the fence) that she is soul and funk embodied.
34745, You beat me to it...
Posted by Voodoochilde, Sat Sep-24-05 04:38 AM
i was thinking about what to put up next and I was leaning towards a 96 era gig too, (not the exact same one but from the same tour...)

cool thing is i didn't have the one you put up...so much thanks El, greatly appreciated & enjoyed...

34746, right on
Posted by el_rey, Sat Sep-24-05 08:25 AM
I love the Peace Beyond Passion stuff. Since all of my CDs are in boxes, you should up that Soul Medley from Seattle, WA, 06/11/1997 (final track on 2nd CD) was it out of Step Into the Projects? I can't remeber now, but she runs through Prince and other great Soul tracks. It is some of the best Me'Shell I've heard.

edit: this show is also often listed as House Of Blues, Hollywood, CA, October 6, 1996. DOn't know which one is right.

p.s. check yer inbox
34747, can someone re-up this one?
Posted by psykosoul, Sat Oct-01-05 02:18 PM

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/psykosoulmusic.htm
http://www.myspace.com/psykosoulmusic
http://www.broadjam.com/artists/artistindex.asp?artistID=15895
34748, favorite meshell memory...
Posted by invert, Sat Sep-24-05 09:12 AM
Nov? 1996 - show in London - first time i saw her. was gonna be followed by a rave/party of some sort - completely different event ("erebody out" kinda thing). meshell and her band had put on a blissful set, entire crowd was feelin it, amazing vibe. then management was sidling up back stage signaling her to get off (i'd worked my way to the front hopin for a little holy sweat or sumthin - so i could see the side area). with a look, she tells her band to keep jammin & walks to the side to talk to mgmt. they're arguin, meshell's all fiery, flips 'em off and walks back to her mic. tells the crowd (can't remember wording really) "they want me to get off the stage, but i don't think it's time yet" *boos, whistles* "y'all want me to stay on?" *crazy cheers* "fuck 'em" & tears into her bass. band moves into a new jam, crowd is losin it. one by one they start cuttin the sound - vocals first. meshell is fuckin furious - gets more into her bass. click - guitar gone. click - drums gone, click - bass gone. meshell's pacing around talking to her band, then comes off stage with a final finger for mgmt goes into the crowd & storms out, band following. dont get no better than that...

sidenote: spud from trainspotting was next to me "groovin" the whole time with his unfortunate, no-beat-feelin self. dude was with a FLY honey. damn.
34749, Thanks to everyone for this post...
Posted by 2nd2Nun, Sat Sep-24-05 09:24 AM
I had only heard "Wild Nights" before and wasn't a huge fan. These live recordings have truly blown me away. I'm going to have to pick up a couple albums. Thank you so much for taking the time to put these up!
34750, "Free My Heart" live 1996 tv appearance (audio)
Posted by verde01, Sat Sep-24-05 03:19 PM
thanks for sharing!!!

can anyone re-up the "Free My Heart" live 1996 tv appearance?!

34751, Deleted message
Posted by , Sat Sep-24-05 12:50 PM
No message
34752, "Free My Heart" live tv appearance 1996 (re-up)
Posted by Voodoochilde, Sat Sep-24-05 05:11 PM

hxxp://s19.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1PPPCBY4HH0VF274J9N3Y5K4H1

34753, link to Meshell interview in recent Bass Player magazine
Posted by Voodoochilde, Wed Sep-28-05 06:29 AM
http://freemyheart.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/5946041581/m/9311090141

if link above doesn't take you directly to the post with the article, then go to

http://www.freemyheart.com

click "Polylogue" section at top

click "Meshell Music & More"

look for thread titled "Meshell article in Bass Player Special Edition"

btw way its a great issue of Bass Player focusing on the Legends of Funk and R&B Bass Legends (Meshell is one of the featured Legends)...definitely worth picking up...
34754, '2002 easy going web jam session'..."Faithful" live
Posted by Voodoochilde, Sat Oct-01-05 07:50 AM
(re-upping the tracks individually for those who couldn't open the .sit file...)

hxxp://s61.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2WZ6Z41AZJ6R40V9DM6Q0GMATM

34755, '2002 easy going web jam session'..."Earth" live
Posted by Voodoochilde, Sat Oct-01-05 08:07 AM

hxxp://s61.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=01L8MO4O86XS72YTG1X9IML16M
34756, '2002 easy going web jam session'..."God Fear & Money" live
Posted by Voodoochilde, Sat Oct-01-05 08:15 AM

hxxp://s55.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2J9E7DLQ5H7RG3UU6AM56RZHFW
34757, "Time Has Come Today" covered by Meshell
Posted by Voodoochilde, Sat Oct-01-05 08:39 AM
I think the Soundtrack to the 1995 film "White Mans Burden" is now out of print
so here's Meshells contribution...a cool ass reinterpretation of the Chambers Brothers 1967 hit "Time Has Come Today"

hxxp://s10.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0QDEZC1YO00NF0P8CUAMW543G9
34758, i will forever be a fan. . .
Posted by JustLisa, Sat Oct-01-05 08:46 AM
i can only say that about five other artists (who are releasing new material):

prince
stevie
d'angelo
erykah
jill
34759, Dammit... FUCKIT - ?uestlove put Me'Shell on the next album!!
Posted by w7LL, Sat Oct-01-05 01:29 PM
34760, RE: seriously. the roots collabo'd with every okayartist except meshell
Posted by Airbreed, Sat Oct-01-05 02:34 PM
what gives?
34761, KCRW AUDIO FILES RE UP<-----
Posted by dred99, Sat Oct-01-05 07:38 PM
http://s51.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0WJWZSZW4RNZ10XC1L7KCV1XSH
34762, "The Teaching"...(version 1)
Posted by Voodoochilde, Sun Oct-02-05 07:34 AM
I think there are a few mixes of this great tune out there (originally released on the now -out of print Money Talks soundtrack)

hxxp://s35.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3HM6MWWW9X2M02NL0XPZSGR2KI

34763, Forgiveness & Love: live from back in 2002
Posted by Voodoochilde, Sun Oct-02-05 09:01 AM
not a great audio recording really, but hey beggars can't be choosers right? The way i look at it, ANY live recording i can listen to that i would otherwise never hear at all is a bonus. Besides, the loose bouncy groove, uncompromizing lyrics, and scorching verse by M1 make this more than worth having to listen through the muffled audio IMO...

hxxp://s34.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3E7C3BBWTCIAR3906Z390VGBZ9

34764, "Priorities 1-6" ...Live 2002
Posted by Voodoochilde, Sun Oct-02-05 09:41 AM
again, recording not so great...but the groove....

hxxp://s32.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1P917H7HWB9W61VL302JQQWXYO

34765, "Barry Farms" ...Live 2002
Posted by Voodoochilde, Sun Oct-02-05 09:47 AM
This version of "Barry Farms" is from same show as above and followed "Priorities 1-6" ...again ignore the quality of the audio...just bob your head to the groove...at one of the breakdowns Meshell takes it all the way back to her DC roots for a minute...

hxxp://s7.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1JM0GPBKI8CMS1QHSR7G9RB5OC
34766, "My Soul Dont Dream" from 1998 (with Keb Mo)
Posted by Voodoochilde, Sun Oct-02-05 10:27 AM
From the out of print "Down In The Delta" soubdtrack...

hxxp://s39.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1XIAGQDXJN5U231U5KO52XWKIG

34767, "Nocturnal Sunshine" from 1994
Posted by Voodoochilde, Sun Oct-02-05 11:34 AM
"Nocturnal Sunshine" (studio version) from the now out-of-print Red Hot & Cool compilation...

hxxp://s58.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0ZY33C2D878HO1A2QP4BQ9KOHP

I'll re-up the funky live version of "Nocturnal Sunshine" later...

34768, RE: Every Okayartist should BOW DOWN to Meshell's talents
Posted by notthat1, Sun Oct-02-05 01:32 PM
Just saw this thread . Couldn't agree more with the things said about Meshell . She's in a class *all* by herself, period!

34769, "Nocturnal Sunshine" (live version re-up) from 1994
Posted by Voodoochilde, Sun Oct-02-05 01:38 PM
this is a re-up of the live version of "Nocturnal Sunshine" (studio track is up in post 136 )

hxxp://s63.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=09UNE85SDPG2F0KAZMK84UKDUT

34770, RE: "Nocturnal Sunshine" (live version re-up) from 1994
Posted by Voodoochilde, Wed Oct-05-05 08:09 PM
up before the latest links expire...
34771, Meshell is the shit
Posted by msclman99, Wed Oct-05-05 10:34 PM
i coulda told you that.