Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectRE: you my pal
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=3433&mesg_id=3443
3443, RE: you my pal
Posted by guest, Tue May-25-04 09:35 AM
I live in Maryland, Jean Grea doesnt have but two songs on CD IN THE ENTIRE STATE. I know quest and those in charge of the True Notes Vol.1 CD realized that they were gonna be exposing Jean to A LOT of people who never heard her before. It seem's to me that this was a CD to put out dope tracks, by dope artists that your average roots fan may not have checked for before. Before True Notes, i never heard tracks by Supastition, Nicolay, Little Brother, Jean Grea, RJD2, Dice Raw or Blackalicious. I was buying this album based on the strength of Skillz and The Roots with some influence from the snippets posted.

So yes. I based my opinion of her on two songs. If you have two songs on a compilation as good as this, with artists as good as this, you had better come with your A-game. If what your telling me is that this isn't her A-game, then that says something about the artist who thinks their B-game material is worthy of a compilation with artists of this calliber (who obviously brought the fruckin A-GAME).

Like I said, ill still check for her, but I won't buy her album.