Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectRE: you my pal
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=3433&mesg_id=3441
3441, RE: you my pal
Posted by guest, Mon May-24-04 12:18 PM
>either have a limited vocab
>no imagination
>or no grasp on what is good imagery when an mc spews lyrics
>or--just an okayplayer.
>
>and that gives you your right to have an opinion.

So when I listen to Jean Grea should I imagine she has a better flow?

I dig her lyrics a little more now than I did when I first herd her last week when i got TrueNotes, I will say that she's def. alrite with the pen. But when she gets to the mic her passion (that I imagine she has) just goes away.

On a track like "Keep Livin" where there is such a strong musical backdrop, she should be working with that, I feel. The chorus tries to match the music but that verse could be on any track with a matching tempo, requardless of the music, I PERSONALLY can't get down with a track like that.

On "Fall Back" (which honestly, i never gave a fare listen to based on the weakness of "Keep Livin") flow is much improved. This should have been placed on the album before "Keep Livin." A track like "Keep Livin" will make current fans happy but wont make any new ones. "Fall Back" is dope enough that Ima look for more by her, wont make me buy her album, but it will make me beleive she can do dope work.

But I gotta say, when she was What What and was on that Hip-Hop For Respect EP, man I was feeling her then.

I have always cringed when a person says "spew lyrics" cuz i never equated rhyming/M.C.ing with throwing-up. But that's just me, I know, ima fool.

"...or just an okayplayer" haha, love that u keep it peaceful.