Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectBoondocks, episode #1 - So what do y'll n*ggas think??
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=34056
34056, Boondocks, episode #1 - So what do y'll n*ggas think??
Posted by 9er, Sun Nov-06-05 11:58 PM
LMAO...

HAHAHAAHAHA, Riley: Man, I like that house... anyway I shot a n*gga... hahahahaha...

Hip hop is to poetry what being Black is to noire!!

I wanted you to massage my toes but you'd rather play dominoes...
34057, RE: Boondocks, episode #1 - So what do y'll n*ggas think??
Posted by ILLYROC, Mon Nov-07-05 12:00 AM
When was it on...And when will it be on again?
34058, RE: Boondocks, episode #1 - So what do y'll n*ggas think??
Posted by 9er, Mon Nov-07-05 12:11 AM
Premiered tonight at 11pm, will rerun at 3am.

34059, RE: Boondocks, episode #1 - So what do y'll n*ggas think??
Posted by vitamin A plus, Mon Nov-07-05 12:38 PM
they're gonna start showin reruns saturdays at midnight too
34060, just OK, you'll just happy cos it had black folk in it
Posted by Uchiwa_Sasuke, Fri Nov-11-05 02:04 AM
seriously, all this hype like it was Star Wars III or The Matrix or okayplayer own Aaron. Not even close to American Dad, Family Guys, Simpsons, Futurama, Robot Chicken aand them ones

By the way i am an Aaron fan, got all hit books and the print is way better. I never imagined the voice to be soooooooooooooooooooooo wack
34061, Them voices is ass. Ya'll on drugs if you think 10-year olds sound
Posted by Ill at Life, Sun Nov-13-05 10:34 PM
like that. Not to mention, making this kid sound a little older wouldn't have hurt nobody. Even aside from that, Regina King ain't doin it. Straight up, lay off the krills.

Plus, they using the word nigga in the worst exploitative way...Now I'ma have to get to correcting adult swim white boys who wanna rock the noun cuz they seent a cartoon sayin it late night on sunday...thanks a fuckin lot mcgruder.
34062, RE: Boondocks, episode #1 - So what do y'll n*ggas think??
Posted by Salocin14, Mon Nov-07-05 12:01 AM
Didn't let down at all. Aaron McGruder knows what he's doing.

"No! Stop Clapping! Ain't this offendin' you?"

And nice Chappelle tribute from Murphy.
34063, RE: Boondocks, episode #1 - So what do y'll n*ggas think??
Posted by JackKnife2ooo, Mon Nov-07-05 12:04 AM
i thought it was awful ::shrug::
34064, RE: Boondocks, episode #1 - So what do y'll n*ggas think??
Posted by 9er, Mon Nov-07-05 12:16 AM
I had mixed feelings. Was expecting funnier stuff. Not enough jokes or shit talking.

I thought Uncle Ruckus was grandads buddy, at least in the comic strip. I thought the Chappelle reference was funny too... and Charlie Murphy's character was funny as hell. I wonder how he will be weaved into the story more. He shoulda been Uncle Ruckus too. That would have been funnier.

I think grandads voice (John Witherspoon) is not funny. Kinda like have Steve Harvey on WDAS.

34065, ???
Posted by punkhopjazcee, Mon Nov-07-05 01:55 PM
>i thought it was awful ::shrug::
Whut da f*ck y'all looking at?
34066, i dislike huey's voice.
Posted by dilatedpeoples36, Mon Nov-07-05 12:30 AM
i don't know how i pictured it in my head, but it wasn't like that at all.
34067, His voice ain't as bad as Riley's...
Posted by KnowNaim_X, Mon Nov-07-05 12:33 AM
Yeah I know Regina King does both voices but...I just don't like Riley's voice.
34068, RE: i dislike huey's voice.
Posted by Nova X O, Mon Nov-07-05 02:25 PM
I have to agree Huey's voice lacked a certain something... gravitas maybe. I am anxious to hear Ceasar's. Riley's was appropriate, however Grandads voice needs some serious help.I normally like John Witherspoon in small doses but definately the wrong choice.
34069, RE: Boondocks, episode #1 - So what do y'll n*ggas think??
Posted by theBoondocksGurl, Mon Nov-07-05 12:36 AM
I just watched the show. First thought, what is going on with these voices? C'mon is it really that hard, all that is needed for Huey is a mid deep voice and cynical tone. Riley's voice should also be improved.

The show does portray the comic. Well at least certain aspects so far, its only the first episode. The show criticizes certain issues of society, and that is what the comic does as well. How the show goes about portraying the main concepts of the comic can be greatly improved. More in a subliminal way(like the comic) and not str8 forward like it is, because it appears to portray stereotypes and only do that. I mean people understand the sarcasm, but the way it is developed, I dunno, for the majority of the audience should be considered and toned down a bit. I can go into so much detail but I dont feel like it. I guess Aaron Mcgruder thinks he can and will push the envelope. Some people are not ready for the show, although everything is set and conveyed in a simpler manner.

even though I said all that above, I still like the show

and Aaron Mcgruder :)

http://www.myspace.com/2822799

Shut up B!@!@!!!! and get money!
34070, RE: Boondocks, episode #1 - So what do y'll n*ggas think??
Posted by iamhiphop, Mon Nov-07-05 05:21 PM
What the F**K were you guys watching? The voices for the characters were not good enough? First of all you have to remember that Huey and Riley are both kids. They are not even in high school yet. And the episode was pretty funny. But anyway its only the first episode. It can only get better.

"I told you to stop saying niggaz all the time."
"But you used it 47 times yesterday, I counted"
"Shut up nigga!"

Exchange between Huey and his Grandfather
34071, That was funny!
Posted by ya Setshego, Mon Nov-07-05 05:24 PM

>>"I told you to stop saying niggaz all the time."
>"But you used it 47 times yesterday, I counted"
>"Shut up nigga!"
>
>Exchange between Huey and his Grandfather
34072, RE: Boondocks, episode #1 - So what do y'll n*ggas think??
Posted by theBoondocksGurl, Tue Nov-08-05 03:24 PM
mid-deep

34073, RE: Boondocks, episode #1 - So what do y'll n*ggas think??
Posted by selonius, Tue Nov-08-05 11:10 AM
i completely agree w theBoondocksGurl re: the voices, specifically of Huey...i DEFINITELY expected a more cynical & calculating tone instead of making him sound like Mickey Mouse...

Huey iz the pulse of the script; almost narrative...hiz voice shud reflect the weighty, daring viewpoints that r presented, even if he IZ a kid...thatz the intention of using Huey az the main character of this comic strip; the fact that he's a kid beyond hiz years shud reflect in hiz persona
34074, RE: Boondocks, episode #1 - So what do y'll n*ggas think??
Posted by selonius, Tue Nov-08-05 11:17 AM
also, can they please slow the tempo of the credits? good thing i recorded it so i can go bak 2 c who did wut...itz not like they were strapped 4 time...

anyway, itz GREAT 2 hav this on TV...
34075, loved that shit
Posted by Hitokiri, Mon Nov-07-05 12:43 AM
it seemed like it was over too quick though. Don't like the voices that much but i've kinda gotten used to them already. First ep gets and A- from me.

minoriteam was funny as fuck too
34076, it was quick
Posted by Y2Flound, Mon Nov-07-05 11:59 AM
it ended at 11:23 I remmeber noticing that and thinking that was kinda weak.

Thought it was great though, even my girl was laughing at parts and her sense of humor sucks.

The Burgh's 33rd best Madden Player

I asked myself for a while but now I finally get it
Good music transcends all physical limits
It's more than something that you hear, it's something that you feel
When the author and experience and passion is real
34077, RE: it was quick
Posted by LK1, Mon Nov-07-05 01:10 PM
>Thought it was great though, even my girl was laughing at
>parts and her sense of humor sucks.

lol.
34078, was anyone able to capture it?
Posted by thislovejawns, Mon Nov-07-05 12:50 AM
i forgot im not in the east coast time zone anymore, completely missed it
34079, the grandpa is on point, i like how its not watered down, voices are aiigh
Posted by sweeneykovar, Mon Nov-07-05 04:38 AM
34080, Who would make a better Granddad
Posted by ya Setshego, Mon Nov-07-05 05:27 PM
than John Witherspoon? I can't think of anyone, save maybe Sherman Helmsley.
34081, Darryl Cobb
Posted by 40thStreetBlack, Tue Nov-08-05 12:35 PM
the grandfather from "I'll Fly Away" - he has that old black man voice w/ deep bass that would fit the character better, plus his voice is anonymous enough that you would just think of him as Granddad Freeman instead of picturing John Witherspoon. Witherspoon is funny but his voice kind of turns Granddad into his typical Boomerang/Friday character, which is not how I really picture Mr. Freeman.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
"If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes
will fall like a house of cards... checkmate."

- Zapp Brannigan
34082, Regina Hall = 100% wrong.
Posted by , Mon Nov-07-05 05:41 AM
too mush mouth baby sounding for huey man,
34083, RE: Regina Hall = 100% wrong.
Posted by sithlord, Tue Nov-08-05 05:07 PM
Which should make us even happier they got REGINA KING!

"I mean people think this business is all about money, sex and drugs. Well, it is. But you've also got to remember it is a business. So handle your business, pay your taxes and be on time.''
-The infinite wisdom of Juicy J of Three 6 Mafia
34084, RE: Regina Hall = 100% wrong.
Posted by 9er, Tue Nov-08-05 10:49 PM
Clearly you don't have any idea what you are talking about... Huey is a sarcastic droll-type of character. Not all frigging happy and high-pitched. So his voice should sound like a lot less like a singer!!!
34085, Grandad!You can't tame the white supremecist power structure wih CHEESE!!
Posted by Pinko_Panther, Mon Nov-07-05 06:20 AM
lol... I love it! I even like the voices. They are perfect. You got Huey, who is politically sharp but no one takes him seriously because he's some pre-pubescent child. I think the voice translates that very well. And, well, I've met little kids like Riley who have a high pitch voice but always talk like they wanna be thugs. This show can only get better. I hope it sticks around.
34086, RE: Grandad!You can't tame the white supremecist power structure wih CHEESE!!
Posted by Jules52_01, Mon Nov-07-05 01:13 PM
I completely agree with you. I laughed from beginning to the end.

"What's eatin' you?"
"A gotdamn german shepard that's what."
34087, Wasted Charlie Murphy's Voice...
Posted by , Mon Nov-07-05 07:36 AM
man they could have used him so much better than a white guy in the first episode
i dont understand it...
34088, I loved Huey in the Malcolm X pose
Posted by TIMP, Mon Nov-07-05 09:18 AM
I liked how they snuck that in
34089, RE: I loved Huey in the Malcolm X pose
Posted by Muh Muh Malcolm Muh Muh Martin, Mon Nov-07-05 09:25 AM
Yeah I peeped that. When he was looking out the window with the gun. So far so good. I enjoyed it. "This nigga showed up to a rally with a rain coat!!!"
34090, That was SOOOOO funny!!!
Posted by ya Setshego, Mon Nov-07-05 05:32 PM
Now I need 2 see the episode all over again, JUST FOR THAT SCENE! LOL!

>>"This nigga showed up
>to a rally with a rain coat!!!"
34091, That was pretty cool
Posted by Pinko_Panther, Mon Nov-07-05 11:08 AM
I like how they did it as a quick frame too. Just a subliminal statement, thrown in the mix.
34092, RE: I loved Huey in the Malcolm X pose
Posted by unfuhhqwitable, Mon Nov-07-05 07:02 PM
i got a pic of Huey in the Malcolm X Pose... what a great show!

http://tinypic.com/fejswn.jpg
34093, RE: Boondocks, episode #1 - So what do y'll n*ggas think??
Posted by cubexican85, Mon Nov-07-05 09:42 AM
What's up with pops doing Taebo but a$$ naked?? That was Classic!
34094, i loved it but wasnt feeling....
Posted by chicky259, Mon Nov-07-05 10:16 AM
huey's voice...he sounds like a girl which i know is a girl playing his voice...i just imagined him having a deeper voice
34095, Don't trust them new niggas over theerrrrreeeee.......!
Posted by MistaGoodBar, Mon Nov-07-05 11:49 AM
OFF THE HOOK

One episode deep, and I'm already fiending for the DVD box set
The voices for Huey and Riley to a minute to get used to, but I'm used to it now

Excellent job Aaron!
34096, spreading their nigga essense in the air? ...
Posted by SonjaTheChef, Mon Nov-07-05 05:30 PM
... thats a new one ... nigga essense? new ish
34097, RE: spreading their nigga essense in the air? ...
Posted by ya Setshego, Mon Nov-07-05 05:35 PM
**bending over w/ laughter**
34098, "RILEY GO GET THE FANCY CHEESE! WE GOT KRAFT AND WE GOT VELVEETA..."
Posted by LeGenDarYPoEtess20, Tue Nov-08-05 12:57 PM
LMAOOOO...THAT was f*cking hilarious! Spreadin their nigga essence in the air I was dyin when he fell off stage and ol white girl was like I think the "n" word is okay as long as they say it. "Don't trust them niggasssssss over thereeeeeeeeeeee" Oh and my sh*t was when he said "I bet you wish you had your raincoat now" I was dead lol "This nigga went to get a muthaf*ckin raincoat! Who in the hell brings a raincoat to a march?!" wow lol
34099, RE: Don't trust them new niggas over theerrrrreeeee.......!
Posted by eTeRnaL_FyRe, Mon Nov-07-05 06:15 PM
i was just saying when is the dvd box set coming out.
34100, RE: Don't trust them new niggas over theerrrrreeeee.......!
Posted by deejayegypto, Mon Nov-07-05 10:24 PM
I too am looking forward to the DVD of this for real.
34101, Why is Ceasar not a character in this series??
Posted by bonitaapplebaum71481, Mon Nov-07-05 11:49 AM
He's mad cool... and he's Huey's right hand man in the strip. Shucks, I think this is important... I checked the Boondocks site and no mention of him at all... *kicks rocks*
34102, RE: Why is Ceasar not a character in this series??
Posted by 9er, Mon Nov-07-05 12:40 PM
I posted this earlier in OKA (response to me attached), hope it sheds some light/thought...

"Boondocks: No MC on the site or show..."

"MC (Michael Ceasar) is Huey's best friend. He is also a hip hop aficionado. Does anyone know why there is not even a character profile on the new site nor an inclusion of the character on the show. He is a good conscience for Huey at least in the comic strip."

RE:

Cassy
Member since Aug 25th 2005
63 posts Sun Nov-06-05 08:22 PM

1. "I've been hearing ..."
... that Ceasar won't be in the show until the second season because keep in mind that he wasn't introduced to the strip right away.

As for getting another voice for Huey, for the fifteen (I think it's fifteen) episodes I think we're stuck with Regina. After that, who knows what will happen. I don't think they need to get rid of her. I think it's a matter of coaching to get the voice down. I think she's on the right track with Huey with the hint of raspiness she seems to have going on, so who knows if it might get better over time.

I guess we'll pretty much just have to wait and see. ^_^
34103, Hmnnnnn....
Posted by Sileni, Mon Nov-07-05 12:09 PM
It seems to be getting mad love around here so don't get angry when I write that I wasn't feeling it. I felt like it was trying to hard to exaggerate what it already was. I'll give it some more chances to get on my good side, if I can laugh at Squidbillies, I can laugh at this.

You can swim in the Sea of Knowledge and still come out dry.
34104, i thought...
Posted by tscar_musicdotcom, Mon Nov-07-05 12:16 PM
that it was a good first episode to introduce the public to the boondocks. there are probably a lot of family guy/american dad heads that don't know about the boondocks, and this episode was made for the adult swimmers to learn about them. good introduction, but i think it'll get better. the previews for next week alone with the R kelly shit shows promise. i'm excited for the future and content with the first
34105, see General Discussion
Posted by ju_BOOM, Mon Nov-07-05 12:30 PM
34106, honestly, i expected more
Posted by humblemumble, Mon Nov-07-05 12:49 PM
didn't like grandad's voice
the storyline was eh
but i will tune in weekly
34107, RE: Boondocks, episode #1 - So what do y'll n*ggas think??
Posted by velcromc, Mon Nov-07-05 01:11 PM
I liked it, but I expected much more.

Co-sign w/ the voices, particularly Huey's

I imagined it being a raspy little-kid's voice, not crystal-clear girlish like Regina King's

Works for Riley better in my view, since he's younger

I think it could've been much more effective in introducing the characters... Or at least the characters I've come to get used to in the strip. I could've sworn the first episode would be about them actually getting to Granddad's neighborhood and settling in, like the first series of comics. I also thought I'd see some of the other characters from the strip... The way this started off though, it seems like the cartoon will be an offshoot, a different form of the strip, not a continuation, which is what I hoped for.

I think more than anything though, I expected more from the animation... Couldn't it be smoother? The way they pac-man through their dialogue, opening and closing their mouths, and their movements... It irked me a little.

I'ma keep watching it regardless, out of curiosity and loyalty to the Boondocks branding... But I will say this: this first episode didn't make me laugh once. Only some half-smiles. My girl, who's also an avid fan of the strip, fell asleep halfway.

Here's to it getting better.
34108, RE: Boondocks, episode #1 - So what do y'll n*ggas think??
Posted by 9er, Mon Nov-07-05 01:36 PM
Well said...

34109, along with hueys voice i didnt like how it was drawn too
Posted by thislovejawns, Mon Nov-07-05 01:29 PM
i was expecting (if it was drawn anime style) that itd have more thus smoother slides or (if it was drawn more block/graffiti style like in the strips today) itd be more colorful

but all in all i guess i liked it only because i like the strip so much. if it wasnt for that i probably wouldnt be a fan of the show
34110, RE: along with hueys voice i didnt like how it was drawn too
Posted by easyrider, Mon Nov-07-05 10:04 PM
I definetely agree with the comment that if I didn't like the strip so much, I may not be a fan of this show.

the content was there, but the voice work needs major help, on all sides. starting with the kids, they need to fix that quick, or I don't see this show developing an audience and last very long, which would be a shame.

and they could smooth out the animation a little. then need to take a few more notes on Shinchiro Watanabe, who made Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo. the animators here have seemingly watched those shows a lot, so if they are going to do that style, they should do it right.
34111, RE: Boondocks, episode #1 - So what do y'll n*ggas think??
Posted by The Mish, Mon Nov-07-05 01:31 PM
some funny bits, but disappointing overall. script too simplistic and huey's voice is a real problem. sounds like a girl, not a young boy; it's distracting.

not good enough to justify how lame the daily strip has become while macgruder's been focussed on the series.
34112, RE: Boondocks, episode #1 - So what do y'll n*ggas think??
Posted by Okay Lurker, Mon Nov-07-05 01:37 PM
Huey's voice is lacking. They need to change it asap.

Other than that, I thought it was a decent series premiere. Most pilots aren't that polished.. and this one had a few brilliant moments.

34113, RE: Boondocks, episode #1 - So what do y'll n*ggas think??
Posted by rightquick, Mon Nov-07-05 01:43 PM
i'm lovin it

"this n*gga went to get a muhthaf-ing raincoat" haha
34114, RE: Boondocks, episode #1 - So what do y'll n*ggas think??
Posted by Battle Max, Mon Nov-07-05 01:43 PM
Fuck anyone that doesnt think the Charlie Murphy character was funny. Shit had me rolling. Good all around show i will definetly watch it until they kill it like every other good black show on tv.
34115, Some of you keep talking about the voices. Do you forget
Posted by lingo, Mon Nov-07-05 02:06 PM
these are little boys? Little boys typically don't have deep cynical voices. They usually sound like girls which is why Regina King is perfect.

34116, RE: Some of you keep talking about the voices. Do you forget
Posted by cubexican85, Mon Nov-07-05 02:27 PM
church
34117, all it takes is a bit of thought
Posted by lingo, Mon Nov-07-05 02:29 PM
its not that hard.
lol
34118, RE: Some of you keep talking about the voices. Do you forget
Posted by blackactor, Tue Nov-08-05 03:37 AM
Actually, little boys sound like, well, little boys. Not like 30-yr-old women trying to sound like little boys.

The BEST thing would've been to have had actually kids doing the voices (see: Peanuts), but that ain't happenin' for a few reasons - mostly that you don't want them going thru puberty while the show is at the peak of its popularity.

I think most people who are fans of the comic prolly think of Huey having a deeper voice (I don't mean a damn baritone) 'cuz it fits our perception of him as revolutionary (hopeful or otherwise), though he actually is only a ten-year-old kid – at least at the start of the series.

That said, Ms. King just AIN'T doin 'it. There really should be two different people voicing Huey & Riley. Maybe she'll get better. But I don't see it. I'm still trying to figure out why they would've cast her. There has GOT someone better in LA. I know the lady who would've been voicing Huey in the Sony/Fox production, and her normal voice would be better than what they have now...

But, as someone said, it can only get better...hopefully.

Minoriteam was a better premier (though I don’t think it’ll be more than 3 ep’s) and Squidbillies: Chalky Trouble was RIDICULOUSLY funny.

34119, RE: Some of you keep talking about the voices. Do you forget
Posted by theBoondocksGurl, Tue Nov-08-05 07:38 PM
>these are little boys? Little boys typically don't have deep
>cynical voices. They usually sound like girls which is why
>Regina King is perfect.
>
>

Huey is young, but he criticizes everything, he's pretty cynical about many issues. I imagine him with a cynicale tone and a voice not at all high. Yea he is like 10 but still, I know everybody here imagines him with a slightly deeper voice than the average little boy. Maybe its due to the fact that Huey isnt the average 10 yr. old, but nonetheless I still believe his voice should be slightly deeper.

cynical ofcourse

34120, I don't understand what everyone pissing and mowning about...
Posted by Soularson, Mon Nov-07-05 02:16 PM
I thought it was great. My only complaint is that it ended 7 minutes early... like he couldn't of come up with just 5 minutes worth of material?
34121, RE: Boondocks, episode #1 - So what do y'll n*ggas think??
Posted by TheNativeSun7, Mon Nov-07-05 02:22 PM
Great Show....we need to stop being so hard on it...First EP ..give it time!....last nites show was Funny 2 Me! ...

--------------------------------------

the truth is in the origin of mankind'

---------------------------------------
CHECK OUT THE MYSPACE MUSIC I DELIVER!

http://www.myspace.com/fcthetruth
34122, Boondocks still Rock...
Posted by Nova X O, Mon Nov-07-05 02:54 PM
Overall it was cool.
Some Good Elements:
- Did not really hold back ... although it seemed like it was trying too hard to be heavy handed at times i.e. Uncle R.
- Some good One liners i.e. - The Cheese
- Charlie Murphy.
- Riley's voice is very appropriate (age, inflection, etc.)
- Aaron McGruder (he can do no wrong in my book) on TV
- Animation ... love the opening sequence with grandad and the lotus whip/belt action.

Bad Elements:
- No disrespect to Ms. King but Hueys voice needs someone else STAT...love the RIley action.
- Short
- John Witherspoon ... please folks only in the minimum of doses
- No ceasar and Jasmine....yeah I know all about seas. 2 and I dont care....WHot!
"The Weak Survive & The Strong Evolve!"
WWW.xanga.com/Travisthought
34123, RE: Boondocks, episode #1 - So what do y'll n*ggas think??
Posted by milamonster, Mon Nov-07-05 03:55 PM
i loved it! i was laughing my ass off and then my roommate came in @then end and i could tell she was uncomfortable. SHe would've been even worse at the beginning. and my sister loved it too
34124, RE: Boondocks, episode #1 - So what do y'll n*ggas think??
Posted by Herbak 0, Mon Nov-07-05 04:12 PM
I think it was ill!! I truly loved the show!!! Huey: "but grandad, you said nigga like 46 times" Grandad: "Nigga Hush!" As far as the voices go, they are just children man!! What the hell do y'all expect?? When we were that age we were not speakin with baritones in our voices. It's great that they got Regina King becuz it's a lot more realer with a woman. Hey Nancy Cartwright does the voice of Bart Simpson and look at how successful that show is. Nonetheless, it's a winner with me!! I'm already waitng for the DVD box set!! Way to keep that real shit going Mr.Macgruder (sorry if i misspelled his name) Peace.
34125, dope
Posted by redbaron, Mon Nov-07-05 04:48 PM

with many levels

from the jokes to the serious side of things

i'm interested to see where it goes this season
34126, It was funny.
Posted by ya Setshego, Mon Nov-07-05 05:18 PM
I liked the doorman's....err...song, followed by his big finale: PASSING THE F*** OUT! LOL!

Riley's voice is too babyish 4 an 8-year old.

I liked Granddad's time @ the end w/ Ed Asner's character, and the Bush-like reference Ed Asner made about his granddson. Funny stuff.
34127, it was funny
Posted by TIMP, Mon Nov-07-05 06:18 PM
I just thought that Huey's voice should be a little bit deeper (he is 16 isnt he?)
34128, The voices kept me from really...
Posted by CaptainRook, Mon Nov-07-05 07:04 PM
getting into it.

I can understand that these are lil' boys and as lil' boys, they are not gonna have voices like Isaac Hayes or Barry White, but damn!!!!

I couldn't and wouldn't take Huey seriously either if that's how he sounded. I loved Regina King on 227 and she was ABSOLUTELY OUTSTANDING in Ray, but she is disturbing my groove as far as being able to enjoy the show.

Then again, I don't completely blame Regina, in that I, like most, had developed a voice of my own for Huey and Riley in my head over the past 5 years of reading the comic strip and it didn't sound anything like this voice Regina has given them.

Oh well, I still hope that the show does well, and I wish Aaron the best.

HE FINALLY DID IT!!!!!!!
34129, the Boondocks
Posted by 12th son, Mon Nov-07-05 07:50 PM
First of all I'm glad McGruder was able to get the show on television and with his ideal vision. Also, props to a thirty something brother gettting paid and having control over his creation. However, I found episode one-rarely funny and often annoying. The n word was used way too often almost for shock value. Personally, I believe it shouldn't be used in any context by black or white folk. But that's me and Aaron feels differently and alot of okayplayers do also. Uncle Ruckus had way too much air time. I love the animation.Didn't like Riley and Huey's voices- I magined them sounding different. Grandad was the most complete character as far as his persona, voice and how he looked. I did like the whole garden party dynamic- with Huey being serious but the elites patronizing him. More Huey and less Ruckus in the future-note to aaron. The bleeps or profanity was a bit much. I do however think that the episode was average at best. Also, I do think future episodes will be better. 22 minutes -can a brother get a full thirty?
34130, RE: Boondocks, episode #1 - So what do y'll n*ggas think??
Posted by aqua_di_gio_vanni, Mon Nov-07-05 09:19 PM
How come on the website it says episode 1 is the rkelly one...and the garden party is 3... wasn't the first one the garden party?? i'm confused?
34131, RE: Boondocks, episode #1 - So what do y'll n*ggas think??
Posted by Elprezzo, Mon Nov-07-05 10:51 PM
the episode listings is all messed up...I told yall this is the funniest show hands down...I think the problem a couple of people are having with the n word being thrown around so freely is cause you dont understand...the strip is bout two ghetto pj kids goin to live with their conservative grandpa in the suburbs...if you live in the hood you would see damn near every bad ass kid I see talks like that...damn, I talk like that...everytime a black person gets a show on tv tho, the main critics are black people, like every reperesentation of black people has to be the cosby show or sum shit...I only knew a couple of peeps wit those types of parents...and they said nigga all the time too!!...bottom line...watch the show!!

...and the charlie murphy character is classic...
34132, RE: Boondocks, episode #1 - So what do y'll n*ggas think??
Posted by LeGenDarYPoEtess20, Tue Nov-08-05 01:22 PM
I totally agree with you there! I don't get it people complain that there are no good black shows on t.v. then when one does come along people don't support it for bullshit trivial ass reasons. Like the voices for example, Huey and Riley are little boys! All the little boys I know sound like little girls because their voices haven't changed yet. Just because Huey's voice turned out to be something different than what we envisioned doesn't take away from the greatness and promise of the show.

Obviously Aaron wanted Huey's voice to be the way it was and that is probably why he chose Regina. Who knows what was going on in that brilliant mind of the that brotha? But, I will continue to stick with the show and support it because I believe we need something like this on the air. Something for leftist revolutionary black men and women to laugh at, a show that doesn't compromise for the sake of white people's feelings. Kudos to Aaron for sure. I love that guy! Give the man a break it's his first t.v. show and he's testing the waters to see what works and what doesn't. Caesar will be in the show but I'm sure Aaron is waitin until the right time to introduce him as well as Jasmine and the others.

Some of ya'll act like the show has been on for a year and it's not up to par or something.I feel some are being WAY too critical for a first episode. Just chill and hold on for the ride Aaron is NOT going to disappoint that kid is WAY too thorough in his craft to do so...I am sure he is his worst critic the last thing he needs to to be second guessed about the voices of his characters. As okayplayers I think we need to offer our support.

Oh by the way I loved the Cosby show too but not everybody wants to watch the Huxtables. I bet if it was Johnny Whiteboy's show you wouldn't have anything to say about the voices of his characters...Just a thought.
34133, RE: Boondocks, episode #1 - So what do y'll n*ggas think??
Posted by Elprezzo, Fri Nov-11-05 04:54 PM
yeah...I'm just saying peeps need to support the show...he chose regina king for the voices for the part and she did her thang on this show...that voice-over shit is hard work too and she had to do 2 different voices...I was watching her do that shit like, that is some TEDIOUS shit to do!!...but my peeps did the music for the show and recorded some of the voice-overs for the season and for the pilot , so support a fellow black man coming up in this society and stop the hatin cause aaron got down on this show sumthin' serious!!....and they cut some shit out too in that first episode so trust me ya gonna want that dvd...
34134, RE: Boondocks, episode #1 - So what do y'll n*ggas think??
Posted by deejayegypto, Mon Nov-07-05 10:21 PM
Dude that rocked.

Charlie Murphy was the Soldier!?
and John Witherspoon as Huey and Riley's Dad!?

That's fu**in' genius!

I cannot WAIT to see more for real. I'm very excited.
34135, RE: Boondocks, episode #1 - So what do y'll n*ggas think??
Posted by Questdan, Mon Nov-07-05 10:42 PM
how do these boards work???!?!? i just got this ish , the boondocks was good though, a little more langauge than i expected, but still good, i hope the show continues ok peace!
34136, RE: Boondocks, episode #1 - So what do y'll n*ggas think??
Posted by theonliestone, Mon Nov-07-05 11:35 PM
!}( Edgy but funny
34137, lol @ Velveeta= fancy cheese
Posted by ninarross99, Tue Nov-08-05 12:50 AM
lmao
34138, RE: Boondocks, episode #1 - So what do y'll n*ggas think??
Posted by K tilda Swift, Tue Nov-08-05 02:59 PM
I missed it. ARGH! I wanna jump off something low enough to not kill me, but high enough to bruise.
34139, as far as voices...
Posted by K tilda Swift, Tue Nov-08-05 03:11 PM
my lil brother's voice has been pretty damn deep since he was 6. he's 15 and sounds almost EXACTLY like my pops who's 46. some kids are just like that. Huey, I imagine, is supposed to be one of those. Lil boys sound like lil boys, not girls. werd. and I missed the show...
34140, RE: as far as voices...
Posted by theBoondocksGurl, Wed Nov-09-05 03:10 PM
yup yup yup so chillout everybody else

34141, i LOVE it!
Posted by vechello, Tue Nov-08-05 05:59 PM
ya'll are trippin' saying that you don't like his voice or it doesn't sound right to you. what do you expect from a 10 year old boy. i think it's aaron's story...let him come up with the voices wouldn't that be the most suitable?

anyways...i loved the first show and i'm excited to see what aaron brings for the shows to come! i'm so happy my fav comic strip is now a cartoon!

34142, this nigga brought a rain coat
Posted by C_Jon, Tue Nov-08-05 08:44 PM
I was watching the streaming video in the computer lab and had to run outside because I couldn't control my laughs I was crying and everything. ...That show is off the hook

and why was grandpa exercising with no pants or underwear on

Chanell
34143, "Don't trust them big nostrils over yonder." Uncle Ruckus
Posted by lavendarhill, Tue Nov-08-05 09:22 PM
ROFLMAO!!!!

Hell naw.
34144, It was on point!
Posted by incogx, Tue Nov-08-05 10:13 PM
I thoght the show was just right. I was definitely laughing straight through. And like the comic It opens the door for a wide range of discussion. My peeps and I got into like a 2 hour discussion on a whole lotta ish right after the episode.

I didn't have a problem with the voices at all. HUEY IS A KID!!! He's not even a teenager. I wouldn't expect a deep ass voice. PLUS old heads will remember that one of the first boondocks strips ever featured Huey dropping knowledge to a condescending old white lady who couldn't see past how cute he was. My point is even in the strip Huey is supposed to be frustrated by the fact that despite his intelligence and self determination he is still A KID. Riley is supposed to be cutesy too. Remember the strip where he was working on his thug mug but said he was "cursed with cuteness."

Anyway, I think the content of the show far outweighs any gripes that people might have with voices. I liked the fact that the social commentary worked on different levels-both obvious and subtle. I dug it. Just my opinion.

PEACE!!!
cog
34145, I liked it
Posted by SammyJankis, Wed Nov-09-05 01:42 PM
but the use of the n-word was rather excessive even by tarantino standards it kinda got redundant at some parts but at times though it was funny so i guess its a neccassary evil.
34146, One thing I forgot to give props to...
Posted by velcromc, Wed Nov-09-05 02:21 PM
The music.
The track on the opening credits was a motherf*cking banger! What song is that? I want that shit on a 12".

The beat that played during the end credits thumped too.
34147, dc's own asheru smashing up the opening track...
Posted by spirit, Wed Nov-09-05 10:48 PM

____

http://dancinginthesin.blogspot.com/ - the venting of a wild new orleanian

http://www.myspace.com/spiritequality
34148, RE: boondocks
Posted by 12th son, Thu Nov-10-05 11:24 AM
Well Tarintino and the n word is another discussion. He revels in using it or putting it in his dialogue. He defends the use with a certain arrogance in interviews which irritates me. I think he is very overated as a director- Jackie Brown was largely weak. The best thing about that movie was Briget Fonda as the neo hippie stoner and her sexy feet.
34149, RE: Boondocks, episode #1 - So what do y'll n*ggas think??
Posted by tigerlily2, Thu Nov-10-05 11:32 AM
I thought that it was good...i laughed my ass off, but i thought they should have had another voice for huey
34150, RE: Boondocks, episode #1 - So what do y'll n*ggas think??
Posted by eesh, Thu Nov-10-05 11:33 AM
Fun and funny. LOL I cant wait to see the R. Kelly trial episode and the one where the grandaddy is dating a ho.
34151, Did Grandpa have a name
Posted by Rockscissorspaper, Thu Nov-10-05 03:09 PM
besides "Grandpa" before the show? Don't remember anyone ever calling him "Robert" in the strip...
34152, Yeah, when he and Uncle Ruckus would talk in the strip
Posted by _JP, Fri Nov-11-05 03:02 PM
Yeah, when he and Uncle Ruckus would talk in the strip, he would refer to him as Robert.
34153, Who was Charle Murphy?
Posted by _JP, Fri Nov-11-05 03:03 PM
Was he the grandson who just got back from Iraq?
34154, I think he's the grandpa
Posted by TIMP, Fri Nov-11-05 07:42 PM
34155, Nope. John Witherspoon is Granddad. nm
Posted by blazing_sun, Sun Nov-13-05 04:22 PM
34156, this joint is
Posted by bmore_lyrical, Fri Nov-11-05 06:12 PM
FIYAHHHH!!!
i dont understand how yall could not think this is funny.
34157, up for tomorrow night
Posted by okpdan, Sat Nov-12-05 10:14 PM
34158, it's gonna take a minute to get w/ the voices.
Posted by Scrapluv, Sun Nov-13-05 12:25 AM