Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectAs many of you know... (Breed Love Odyssey continues w/o MOS)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=32483&mesg_id=32483
32483, As many of you know... (Breed Love Odyssey continues w/o MOS)
Posted by Talib Kweli, Fri Nov-11-05 05:55 PM
As many of you know, Mos Def is taking some time off from the Breed Love Odyssey tour. I do not know what Mos is going through, but whatever it is, it is enough to make him not perform. As someone who loves the stage, he’s got to be having a tough time right now, and I pray that whatever he’s going through will end okay. Dante is my friend, and whatever he needs, we will always have his back.

With that said, I would like to make an apology to the fans who were looking forward to a Black Star show. Dante and I together on stage is a beautiful thing and I am just as disappointed as any fan that it is not happening. But let me tell you what IS happening. There are 3 incredibly talented acts and a dedicated production crew and we’ve been busting our asses to make this show successful and great. THE SHOW WILL GO ON. We will miss Mos, but the shows have been powerful even before he hits the stage. Pharoah, K’Naan, Jean Grae, and myself are committed to enhancing our show to make it even more powerful. We are still on the road, the tour has not been cancelled, but we do need help from the fans. If you appreciate live hiphop and recognize the work that we put down, keep buying tickets to go see the Breed Love Odyssey tour. Tell your friends and get them to go too. Let these promoters know that you still want a show. We have a chance to build something for artists who exist outside of mainstream hiphop. The record industry would have you believe that our type of hiphop does not sell. If this tour dies, we will have proven them right. This is not abut the money. None of us were making any real money, this is about presenting a united front and celebrating a culture that we care about.

Now you might be thinking “I wanted to see Mos Def or Blackstar, so why should I come if I’m not seeing that?” Well first,

- you should come for K’Naan, an exciting MC/poet/singer/songwriter from Somalia. He lives in Toronto and his crew is on stage with guitars, drums, and computers. His voice is powerful and melodic, and the commentary in his music is searing. After his performance you will definitely want to cop his CD, which we are selling at the shows.

- Jean Grae, a NY rap legend hits the stage next. Ms. Grae is the best female MC since Ms. Hill. She raps circles around the vast majority of MC’s, and her stage show is clever, raw and fun without sacrificing any realness. Jean is signed to my label Black Smith Music Corp. We are doing big thingsand you can see it live, see it first. History is being made on this stage.

- Next, you know not to miss a chance to see Pharaoh Monche, one of hiphop’s best, grace the stage. Pharaoh has records that you will lose your mind to. All kinds, not just “Simon Says.” He is a free agent and has lots of new energy and material. His background vocalists La and Showtime KILL it every night.

Seeing Pharaoh, Jean, and I on stage is like what it felt like to be at Lyricist Lounge in 1998. During my set, I will be doing the whole catalog. There will be special guests in every city and I will invite the other performers back on for a session too. We will make this work, it will be interactive, fun, and a great concert experience you will never forget. For those who have already purchased tickets, we all thank you from the bottom of our hearts. For everyone, we promise we will give you your money’s worth.

- Talib Kweli