Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectThe Roots Getting Back in the 'Game' (swipe)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=29447&mesg_id=29447
29447, The Roots Getting Back in the 'Game' (swipe)
Posted by theAbominable, Wed Apr-27-05 10:50 PM
By Jonathan Cohen

NEW YORK (Billboard) - Eclectic hip-hop outfit the Roots are eyeing a February 2006 release date for their next Geffen studio album, "Game Theory."

"We're about 60% finished with the new album," drummer ?uestlove told Billboard. The set will likely feature a collaboration with Black Star's Mos Def and Talib Kweli called "Where I Come" and one song with just Mos Def, "Workin' on It."

"Game Theory" will be the follow-up to the Roots' 2004 effort, "The Tipping Point," which debuted at No. 4 on the Billboard 200 and has sold 395,000 copies in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

The Roots have a host of summer shows lined up, including a run with fellow hip-hop outfit Floetry. Headlining dates get under way Friday (April 29) in Bridgeport, Conn., and are booked through a July 1 appearance at New Orleans' Essence Festival. The group will head to Europe in August.

Asked if the upcoming performances would feature any new material from "Game Theory," ?uestlove replied, "We'll just play what comes to mind."

The drummer was on hand Tuesday night (April 26) at the Jammy Awards in New York, performing in a segment with the Dead bassist
Phil Lesh and guitarist
John Mayer and Buddy Guy, as well as during an all-star finale of Jimi Hendrix's "Crosstown Traffic" and Bob Marley's "Lively Up Yourself."

"I've been dying to play on this drum set for a year," he said, pointing at the kit anchored by Medeski Martin and Wood's Billy Martin. "Now, I get my chance!"

Here are the Roots' tour dates:

April 29: Bridgeport, Conn. (Fairfield University)
April 30: Washington, Pa. (Washington & Jefferson University)
May 1: Memphis (Tom Lee Park)
May 16: Philadelphia (Electric Factory; w/ Floetry)
May 18: Boston (Roxy; w/ Floetry)
May 20: Cleveland (House of Blues; w/ Floetry)
May 21: Columbus, Ohio (Ohio State University; w/ Floetry)
May 23: Detroit (Royal Oak Theatre; w/ Floetry)
May 26: Milwaukee (the Rave; w/ Floetry)
May 28: Chicago (Vic Theatre; w/ Floetry)
May 30: St. Louis (Pageant; w/ Floetry)
June 2: Atlanta (Tabernacle; w/ Floetry)
June 4: Ft. Lauderdale, Fla. (Revolution; w/ Floetry)
June 6: New Orleans (House of Blues; w/ Floetry)
June 8: Houston (Hush; w/ Floetry)
June 11: Dallas (Gypsy Tea Room)
June 15: San Francisco (the Grand; w/ Floetry)
July 1: New Orleans (Essence Festival)
Aug. 23: London (Shepherd's Bush Empire)

Reuters/Billboard

"ey yo a-ba-ba" - (c)cdmc - Tha Process 2000