Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectBig up to Cees
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=28840&mesg_id=28890
28890, Big up to Cees
Posted by bc, Wed Jul-28-99 11:37 AM
I gotta agree with Cees on the exposure issues. Eve should have been in the video. Early exposure, ie. guesting on someone's hot new jawn (damn, there's that word again) is THE route to success now days. Remember when you wondered who that Mos Def cat was on Stakes is High? For more reference, remember the noise about LL's video when he didn't use the actual singer? I knew from the voice (and liner notes) that the verse wasn't Erykah, but I also didn't know it was the same Eve until the Ruff Ryders video jumped off. I might be underground impaired but I think there's probably more folks out there like me.<BR>The issue is more pertinent for women in hip-hop. Women artists struggle to get light and acceptance in a male dominated field and slights of this sort can be (but aren't always) more painful. I'm sure there was nothing intentional but that doesn't mean it's inconsequential.<P>i'm bc and that's all I know,<BR>peace in, peace out.<P><BR>"I draw a crowd like an architect"-Rakim