Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subject"BILAL SPEAKS!!"
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=28840&mesg_id=28875
28875, "BILAL SPEAKS!!"
Posted by guest, Thu Aug-05-99 11:10 PM
The reality is,when this hip hop culture arose from the african american community it was percieved by whites and some blacks "you know who you are" as "just a fad" or "not really music", but we who loved it and supported it,"i still have all my 12in vinyl" felt like it spoke to us specifically, and we were ridiculed for spending our money on shows an such, year after year we did our part to make sure this "urban artform" did not die the death "real music lovers" wished upon it, flash foward 1990;WHITE BOYS LOVE P.E.,WHY!?! their not even listening to the lyrics!! they've no idea what the metephors mean! HOW!? can they possibly "feel" the soul of it all? but hey,they have "da loot", and record companies like "da loot" i hear, all of a sudden hip hop is a global phenomenon because rhyme pays. all i'm asking when i say "around" is where can i buy my ROOTS 12in's when the "da loot people" start going back to "real music"?!? "exploiters come into the ghetto from outside, bleed it dry, and leave it economically dependant on the larger society" said the fmr. STOKELY CARMICHAEL