Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectokay, phil...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=28840&mesg_id=28857
28857, okay, phil...
Posted by guest, Fri Jul-30-99 06:06 AM
i'm not trying to pick on you but...<BR>P: I'm not saying that they are unrelated....it is<BR>obvious that music and culture are related.<BR>W: but earlier you said sometimes music is just music... nothing to do with culture.<BR>so maybe i'm a bit confused.<BR>but now i think the explanation you need is...<BR>the guy who asked me if the roots would be around if it wasn't for white folks wasn't attacking white folks.<BR>he was asking if the roots would be around if it wasn't for white folks.<BR>and he may have been able to word it better than the whole "hip" thing. <BR>but all he meant was 'where would the roots be without white folks'.<BR>it had nothing to do with how white folks approach the music, etc...<BR>your points are valid and insightful<BR>but initially they seemed forced/near-irrelevant<BR>now get to work :)<P>"you can meet my folks and figure me out<BR>as the mean that soul means<BR>the colors that blues use<BR>and moods jazz expresses<BR>not on his own understanding he leans<BR>claiming his muses<BR>and constructing when he blesses<BR>with imagery vividly portrayed<BR>messages conveyed<BR>immaculately accurate<BR>not just adequate acumen<BR>reaps accolades and such"<BR> -- WORD SMITH