Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectME'SHELL HELL
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=28500&mesg_id=28569
28569, ME'SHELL HELL
Posted by guest, Tue Sep-14-99 08:31 AM
I feel like it's high school again, and there's this oligarchy controlling what's "cool" and "in" and what's not. I mean, people looked at Erykah like she was from outer space when she first came out, and now, millions of records later, folk act like she invented the head wrap. Folk all of a sudden LIKE nappy hair. Mmm hmm. Yeah, right. All of a sudden, brothas gotta follow me down the street, sayin', "Go'on witcho Erykah Badu lookin self". <P>I think black folk follow trends AND each other a bit too closely for us to have any real integrity when it comes to supporting our own. As long as it's "cool" (meaning, white folks are bitin' it) then we're down. As soon as it's a little "edgy" "eccentric" or, god forbid, "Conscious" we don't wanna hear that shit no more. Then there's the few of us who, like in high school, say, "fuck all y'all" and go in search of the real. But then our own people look at us like, "where'd you come from"? <P>Guess that's why ya call it Me'shell hell, right?<P>But I'on care........I survived high school.....<P>-"misfit"