Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectwow! finaly some constructive criticism up in this piece..........
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=28500&mesg_id=28562
28562, wow! finaly some constructive criticism up in this piece..........
Posted by qoolquest, Fri Sep-10-99 09:54 AM
>?, I feel the frustration and my <BR>>heart goes out to you. I <BR>>know that must have been rough. <P><BR>true. thanks. it was.<P><BR>>I have a question related to you <BR>>statement about 'riq's lack of audience <BR>>perception. <BR>>Why is it that hip-hop artists go <BR>>to W.I. events and continually get <BR>>clowned? I think of Biggie getting <BR>>booed off the stage at (I <BR>>think it was) Sunsplash for not <BR>>being dressed appropriately, and lately DMX <BR>>being arrested for cursing and now <BR>>you being surprised at the reception <BR>>to a weak presentation. <BR>>Don't fools know that folks from the <BR>>W.I. demand that you come correct?<P><P>i feel you and all.....and know this...i will never ever set foot on stage without having my shit together. plain and simple. sure, there have been times when "riq" tones down his performance if sick or sometimes in an element that he's uncomfortable. but i can assure you that we've nerver given less than 95%.<P>i just think that as time rolls by in this age of "fast food music", mofo's don't really care about "new artists" or "new ideas". now i think we are sorta skating sround the issue, and walkin' on eggshells just answer me this......<P>why is that at maxwell's show the audience gave him energy on the songs that had videos to them?<P>why is that most folk (who don't care that much for music) declare VOODOO a horrible record. ON THE CORNER miles' worst record. and never felt JIMI HENDRIX. or slum as "boring"? or choose ADORE (prince) over THE BALLAD OF DORTHY PARKER?<P>how come you won't hear me'shell, lenny, and macy on black radio?<P>how would the fresh fest be embraced by "the community" yet 15 years la......<P>hang on...we've had this conversation before, im about to make a whole slew of enemies here but i can't hold back. we could have the talent of michael jackson, sly stone, and prince and i feel as though black people would still not know the difference. as long as we allow the media to dictate what is hip and what is not.....there is always gonna be a problem.......<P>y'all think eyrkah got everyone open on talent?<P>nope. a pop song (and yes "on and on" is pop). quirky video. strong image. after all that, then y'all feel the songs........"next lifetime" or "otherside of the game" were singles as well, but they did nann on the charts. the hoopla about "tyrone" was more about shock and surprise. i can't count the times that a person comes to me and was like "i didn't know she cursed" or "was so down to earth"<P>the key to lauryn's success was a pop song.<P>sorry y'all, but l winning the grammy album of the year wasn't the same if ultra won for "critical beatdown". people are like "hip-hop is getting its due..." i think the opposite. hip-hop had to "dilute" itself in order for the medicine to go down easier. "doo wop" is chorus heavy, and there is tons of singing on it. thus easier for radio to play it. but then again radio jumped on it already because she was a star already from an album that was "pop" as fuck.(the score was "pop" out the ass) "killing me softly" got people to "accept" her. don't believe me? see what happens if she released primo produced "the final hour". (p.s. again, i'm tellin the truth......davina, esthero, and me'shell have all realesed excellent records that radio has ignored, thus once that happens your life span is done. mofo's ain't got time and patience to see if your goo--fuck that! mofo's don't know how to think for themselves to know if shit is dope or not.<P>i could go on and on. is it a wonder that gang starr goes gold finally after getting with k-ci and jojo? thus giving them a red carpet to radio?<BR>this is what will save your ass in "the community"<P>1. hardness. hardcore as fuck. vicarious fantasy for whiteboys, and bourgious (sic) blacks. sexual taboo fantasy for whitegirls and sisters. press play and come to the ghetto: nwa. tupac. biggie. dmx. nore, downsouth rappers. and the like.<P>2.clown prince element. the funny guy. the wild guy. lots of energy. craaaazy!!!! busta, redman, odb,eminem, etc.<P>3. pop dude. take 'em home to meet mom and dad. bring 'em to show and tell. play em at your 5th grade halloween party: will smith, lauryn, mase,<BR>wyclef, etc.<P>4. sex sex sex...nuff said- artist who you wanna: fuck, marry, hug up on, you tend to like 'em reguardless of talent: meth, tip, kim, fox, etc..<P>5. the hit single..."yeah that's my song" the only umbrella that all artists can hide under. "deja vu (uptown baby)" "you got me" "no pigeons" "all i know" "broken english" "danger!".......here today? gone today!!!!!!<P>6. and the newest category. racemania!!!!! the media fever with artists based on race first and foremost. kid rock, limp bis, korn (groups that have existed for 10 years and more, that have blown up now that mtv decides that they want the elvis syndrome to run things in 2000), and it's not just white people. latin fever (thank god radio paid attention to beatnuts)--how long will it last?....................<P>to make it? you gotta use some of this shit. even true artists fall under.<P>mos def- 2,4 definition on hot 97, and mtv host exposure could get people open on him.<P>common-4. maybe 5 if it's the right song.<P>black thought- 4, 5, and maybe after the movie he will put a "bishop" type spell on folks so maybe 1 can come into play.<P>rahzel- 2, and maybe 5 if he comes with some radio stuff. plus he's under the empty 7 catagory (novelty- sure beatboxing's an art.....but that's his "trick" to take people's minds of off the subject matter. sheeeit scratch told me it was this element that saved everyone's ass in seattle.<P>i could go on,but the point is this.....unless we are willing to get sexy for y'all.....or hardcore......or go straight pop....(i do think i'm funny sometimes) ain't no gettin people open anytime soon. and yeah we fall under 7 too.. (the band) but unless we get deprogrammed to know and see art.....then....-i mean in the 3rd grade homework assignment was go and purchase "my favorite things" by coltraine. and yeah i hated it at first. but i was taught to appreciate that shit....("i don't wanna hear this!! put "boogie nights" on!!!!!!) now there is no art appreciation in school at all. (rent and study "mr. hollands opus") so as long as i rebel against what's familiar it will be a long journey. look, i'm sure big and dmx did the same shows for motherfuckers who felt them.....but it's like if a nigga eats cap'n crunch.....you think he's gonna be all happy when you say..."yo that shit ain't good for you.....eat this bran flakes shit. this is good for you."<P>the truth shall set us free.......<P><BR>>My roommate from college is Jamaican <BR>>and he used to let me <BR>>know about how they did not <BR>>play when it comes to their <BR>>events. It is a party, but <BR>>it is also a huge cultural <BR>>celebration and if you don't bring <BR>>the noise, they will let you <BR>>know. <BR>>I guess I'm surprised that you were <BR>>surprised. That should have been a <BR>>huge day for you guys and <BR>>with or without the fatality drama <BR>>you seemed remarkably unprepared. Finally a <BR>>stage with hundreds of thousands waiting <BR>>to be rocked. I'm feelin' both <BR>>sadness about the tragedy and disappointment <BR>>about the opportunity lost. <BR>>only love intended, bc <BR>>"I draw a crowd like an architect"-Rakim <BR>><P><BR>"....start your own company??!? your parents don't have enough money to buy you a company!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"