Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectColorism and inter-racial dating/marriages
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=28500&mesg_id=28535
28535, Colorism and inter-racial dating/marriages
Posted by nahymsa, Mon Sep-13-99 07:45 AM
1) Given the general negative statements about black people being thrown around constantly on this site, I hardly think I'm being out of the ordinary with my comment BUT to be clear, I am speaking generally about the abundance of black men dating/marrying/glorifying non black women.<P>2) Check the statistics, black men marry outside of their race 4xs (if not more) than black women. Numerous articles, surveys, studies, etc. had been done to document and discuss this situation. So while there are some black women who choose mates outside of their "race" (for lack of a better word) we don't do it in the numbers that black males do. There are reasons for that including the nature of racism & how it impacts on each gender -if you want we can talk about it.<P>3) the black population of the US is about 85% racially mixed (thru force or by choice). The issue isn't just about whether mixing is okay (my sister & brother are half white and numerous fam members are mixed with something). The issue is racism which leads to a color caste system that relegates black women and their physical attributes @ the bottom of the "pretty" totem pole, leading to an increase in black male/any other than black female couples. We can talk about that too.<P>