Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectOkay...before I get upset.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=28500&mesg_id=28531
28531, Okay...before I get upset.
Posted by nahymsa, Wed Sep-08-99 07:01 AM
1) its the West Indian parade.....biggest parade in NYC!!!!! Why come half assed with insufficient speakers? This is BK (where I'm from, I go to the parade almost every year) you will get dissed. Perhaps since this is a huge event for black people, a little bit more time & care to your presentation should've been given by whoever handles those things for you. Most parade participants are practicing months in advance and usually non west Indian hip hop artist come correct with their floats or their stands - to make up for the fact that they aren't doing traditional reggae, soca, or calypso music. <P>2) I didn't go to the parade this year but my friends & family did. Anyone who goes knows that it is hard to tell whats going on 2 ft away from you because of the millions of people in attendance. A friend of mine got hurt 4 years ago & nobody noticed - that is why you got booed when you stopped, no doubt most of the participates weren't aware that someone was dead up ahead. I've been @ the parade when people were shot & nobody know til we got home. Please don't act like the attendees were unfeeling savages..that is not the case. <P>3) Why are y'all gonna come up in the West Indian parade - essentially the biggest black assembly in NYC and slob all over a white girl with the most beautiful black women from damn near every part of the world watching? Common sense tells you that that ones not going to fly. I mean come on!! <P>4) Do y'all dance to your own music? Really, I love the Roots material but most of it will not work @ a parade that glorifies celebration & DANCING!!! Had Wyclef (who I can't stand) been there he would've done his material that suited the occasion. Sounds like the Roots weren't prepared @ all for the parade then y'all wonder why people aren't feeling you. Now you've left a negative impression including the vibe that you don't respect your own by not being ready for one of their biggest celebrations. The Roots are a great group but sometimes I wonder what y'all (or maybe it management) be thinking.<P><P><BR>