Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectY'all were setup!
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=28500&mesg_id=28507
28507, Y'all were setup!
Posted by Nesta, Tue Sep-07-99 07:07 AM
Here I go pointing fingers without knowing the real deal, but here I go.<P>As a veteran of the loveley West Indian Day Parade (I've been going off an on for the last 15 years)! YES, I missed it yesterday but I had a very good reason.<P>Ya'll shouldn't have been allowed to go out there without a mack truck full of speakers. Anything less and no matter who you are, heads are gonna clown you and give you blank stares. <P>Secondly, the parade is really carnival for West Indians who don't go home for carnival. So you got Trini heads, Haitian heads (MY PEOPLE), Jamaican heads, Basians, etc. and all they want to hear is "Jump and Wine" and "Dollar Wine" - U know "Cents, 5 cents, ten cents. Dollar!". STRAIGHT UP SOCCA! So if you ain't givin them straight up socca and you don't have a bangin' system with a rack of twenty macrotechs pushin it, you're asking for trouble.<P>If I were there I would've given up mad love nonetheless.<P>And yeah two years ago The Fugees had a float and it was HOT. They had the aforementioned truck full of speakers Wclef was playing the Haitian music (this is right after Wyclef's Carnival came out) and L Boogie was singin and EVERY DAMN HAITIAN UNDER THIRTY WAS JUMPIN' WITH THEM from the beginning of the parade all the way too the end.<P>So, in short y'all were damn near doomed from the get. It's no reflection on y'all<P>"Nesta, if I didn't know you, I'd think you were an illiterate stalker" - Angieee aka 'Stress.<P>"Esseffastress" - Me (I guess)<P>"You're so NOT money, baby!" - Nou Ra<P>"Trust only in change. Cause hearts change, but betrayal always feels the same." - Me'shell Ndegeocello, "Bitter"