Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectwhy am i about to open these cans of worms?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=28427&mesg_id=28444
28444, why am i about to open these cans of worms?
Posted by qoolquest, Thu Oct-07-99 10:12 AM
aka.....been there, done that.<P>well in the four years of making this album you can best believe that we spent much time jamming. there has to be at least 200 90 minute dats of us doing other people's shit. to the point that we could easily relese em.<P>prince- every song ever written. our best songs are: <BR>-she's always in....(of course)<BR>-the ballad of dorthy parker (first song we ever did, after we made "the hypnotic" we said all of 9 words to each other. lot of frontin goin on. and then this song broke the ice. matter of fact, we did the whole catlouge "lady cab driver", all of "parade", and most of sign o the times.<P>this was a testing period. sort of a way to see who can out prince each other. i mean down to the wire.......the little solo lisa does in "mountains" on the coda......every snare lick on "lady cab driver". all the cymbal crashes on "automatic". brown mark's bassline on "i wonder u". prince spelling the word p-u-s-s-y on the dl on "new postion". everything. stuff that we only thought we heard (clair fisher's string arrangemet on "starfish and coffee" i could've sworn was for my ears only.) so after wards when i worked on "baduism" d came down to visit and we started having the first of a billion jam sessions.<P>roy ayers<BR>herbie hancock<BR>thelonius monk<BR>marva whitney<BR>james brown<BR>earth wind and fire<BR>bobby womack<BR>the time<BR>rick james (our cover of "ghetto life" is killer)<BR>marvin gaye<BR>slum village<BR>joe tex<BR>ohio players<BR>miles davis<BR>sly and the family stone<BR>walter hawkins<BR>bb king<BR>jimi hendrix (for a while there we toyed with the idea of opening the record with "have you ever been to (electric ladyland)"<BR>joe jackson (yes we did "stepping out")<BR>gang starr (next album he's gonna introduce a new style in which his back round vocals will be sung in primoesque fashion)<P>when will this come out? i donno. i'm sure we will think of something<P><P><P><BR>"....start your own company??!? your parents don't have enough money to buy you a company!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"