Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectDonny 101
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=28427&mesg_id=28434
28434, Donny 101
Posted by Nesta, Tue Oct-05-99 11:43 AM
Thankfully! The greatest hits album "The Donny Hathaway Colection" does a fine job of covering Donny's work. The set starts off with "A Song for You" and just goes on to "Giving Up", "Someday We'll All Be Free", "The Ghetto", "To Be Young, Gifted and Black", etc. plus some of the Roberta Flack duets. After you become addcited to that CD, I suggest you go and get "Everything is Everything" and "Extension of a Man" These two albums really fill out the genius of Donny's work with tracks taht aren't on the collection.<P>"Everything is Everything (1970)" is his first album and demonstrates his musical vision from the outset with "Voices Inside", "I Believe To My Soul", "tryin Times" and "Thank You MAster (For My Soul)".<P>"Extension of A Man (1973)" is Donny's Third album (the second being Donny Hathaway-released in 1971). The spirituality and the depth of his expression are all over this album with songs like "Love, Love, Love" and the amazing instrumental track kinda in the vein of Coltrane's A Love Supreme "I Love the Lord, He Heard Me Cry (pts I & II)"<P>And you gotta pick "Donny Hathaway Live". Hell pick up "Donny Hathaway" while you're at it to complete the set.<P>"Let's take a long walk around the park after dark." - Jill Scott