Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Consolidated Tipping Point Reviews Thread
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=2822&mesg_id=2850
2850, RE: Consolidated Tipping Point Reviews Thread
Posted by malcskillz, Mon Jul-26-04 10:35 AM
Okay playas I've read the news writers' little Tipping Point reviews. Is it me or do these s.o.b's know nothing about rap? I personally think The Tipping Point is the hottest new thing out. Joe Schumck and Laura Plain listen to "experimental" music and call it good on the soul fact that it's experimental. Cross genre...ing isn't always good. But then again, someone who listens to hip hop soully to fill their article quota for the week, and criticize something they GENERALLY know nothing about, makes them instant experts. Jay-Z said it the best when he said, "How can you rate music that thugs with nothin' relate to it. I help them see their way through it, not you. Can step in my pants can't walk in my shoes. Bet everything you're worth you'll lose your tie and your shirt."

But then I read their reviews saying they've "retreated" to conventional rap and that "Somebody's Gotta Do It" and "I Don't Care" are dissappointing songs. Those are two of my favorite three songs. I do admit that those are basically rap songs in the core, but as far as I'm concerned, if an outrageous band can make a genre that is starting to become my biggest migrane, (I been listenin to rap/hip hop since I was 4 so back up off me)and make a song that not only got me to want to go out and buy another album (Chilltown New York) then they are doing something right. All they need to do now is get a fresh track with some Def Jam artists, Rawkus Artist, and of course Okayplayer artist and still keep their music original, why should it matter if they are experimental or not. Good music sells itself, not experimenting.

"Thats harsh what you said about my coat... It's made out of your mother's pubic hair." ~ Silky Johnson

"Hitler mother got one big titty, and one little titty, and they call the bitch Biggy Smalls." ~ Beautiful