Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Consolidated Tipping Point Reviews Thread
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=2822&mesg_id=2841
2841, RE: Consolidated Tipping Point Reviews Thread
Posted by Khalil19, Wed Jul-21-04 10:39 AM
OKAY,

I think I've listened to it enough to give my 2 cents. I think this is an extremely clever album. I purposely didn't read any other reviews because I wanted to form my own opinion. I'll start by saying my favorite emcee is Common, but I think BT is better. Not because he filled this album with complex cadences or "DEEP" lyrics. Instead the message I got from them (The Roots) is they can jump through any hoop you put in front of them. When it comes to rhyming, most emcees just trace the popular flow of that moment. When I listened to the style of each track I can only pick out a handful of original musical and lyrical ideas. That's not a diss by the way. They showed me in this album that they can do what you and anyone else can do. And in most cases...they do it better. Track 9 has an obvious Dirty South flow, but they took that style to..."The Tipping Point". My favorite tracks are 4 & 7. Guns are Drawn is just everything I like about The Roots..nuff said. Boom is why BT is #1 right now to me. His range as an emcee is superior to anyone out right now. He doesn't have to prove anything else to those of us that have been down from the jump. If you don't like this album then I guess you just didn't GET IT!!!