Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectUSA Today
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=2822&mesg_id=2827
2827, USA Today
Posted by TurkeylegJenkins, Tue Jul-20-04 08:52 AM
Link: http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/reviews/2004-07-12-roots_x.htm

The Roots tap urgent beat in 'Tipping Point'

Change is constant with The Roots, and The Tipping Point (* * * * out of four) once again finds the adventurous hip-hop band moving in a different direction.

The follow-up to their Grammy-winning Phrenology is sonically edgy and intense, much like their dynamic concerts.

Phrenology brought widespread recognition to the longtime critical favorite, and now that Outkast has kicked open the door for mold-breaking hip-hop acts, perhaps The Roots' seventh effort, out today, finally will give them a foothold in the pop mainstream.

The Tipping Point refers to Malcolm Gladwell's book about critical moments that touch off social phenomena, and the album certainly conveys a sense of urgency.

Between the riveting beats and frontman Tariq "Black Thought" Trotter's razor-sharp lyrics about a range of social ills, it's almost impossible to turn away. The Roots welcome back original keyboardist and now A-list producer Scott Storch, who contributes two tracks — the aggressive Duck Down and hard-driving first single Don't Say Nothing.

Other tracks are the result of jam sessions in Philadelphia late last year and early this year when core members — drummer Ahmir "Questlove" Thompson, keyboardist Kamal Gray and bassist Leonard "Hub" Hubbard — hooked up with an array of up-and-coming and established talents.

The ominous Somebody's Got to Do It is spiced by guest rhymers Devin the Dude and Jean Grae, while rapper Skillz joins ODB and comedian David Chappelle on the rambunctious The Mic. Boom pays homage to old-school hip-hop stars Kool G Rap and Big Daddy Kane with Black Thought's dead-on imitations of both.

The band also gives a nod to Sly and the Family Stone on mesmerizing opener Star and to Booker T. & the MG's on the pulsating finale, Melting Pot. In between, Black Thought unleashes political commentaries on Guns Are Drawn and Why?

Phrenology was more ambitious and experimental, but The Tipping Point's stripped-down simplicity gives its music and messages a raw energy. That's typical of The Roots. Repetition has never been in their expansive vocabulary.

Too bad more hip-hop acts don't see that as an antidote to mediocrity.

-- Steve Jones

The age of the ignorant rapper is done: http://www.regeneratedheadpiece.com

"One morning I woke up and found my favorite pigeon, Julius, had died. I was devastated and was gonna use his crate as my stickball bat to honor him. I left the crate on my stoop and went in to get something and I returned to see the sanitation man put the crate into the crusher. I rushed him and caught him flush on the temple with a titanic right hand and he was out cold, convulsing on the floor like a infantile retard." -- Mike Tyson