Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectWhy do I get the impression...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=28191&mesg_id=28267
28267, Why do I get the impression...
Posted by guest, Wed Nov-10-99 08:57 AM
...that certain cheap-ass motherfuckers want something for (next to) nothing the whole time, like they're the only people with no goddam money? They overlook, or can't grasp, the fact that The Roots are in the music BUSINESS, and as a result, their livelihoods and the livelihoods of those who work for them are often dependent upon a whole bunch of unquantifiables.<P>It's all well and good saying "they signed on the dotted line", but if they hadn't, you'd be lucky to see them playing Seattle at all. Ever try getting tour support off an independent? Ever try getting shit from a rocking horse? Ever travelled cross country in the back of a stank-ass van doing something you love, yet wondering whether it was worth having to live on nothing but Taco Hell burritos for a month to do it? Like Marvin Gaye said, the artist pays the price so you don't have to pay. Maybe not literally in this case, but bear in mind that if they do go to Seattle and do that $5 show, they won't make any money from it. The Roots have bust their asses to get this far, and people still want it on a plate. Damn, I think I'd give up...<P>paz,<P>Pablo<BR>"Why don't you check out your mind, it's been with you all the time" - The Impressions<P>"Gimme a dope beat and I'm all in it" - Gang Starr "Mass Appeal"<P>"If something is yours by right, fight for it. Or else shut up" - unknown voice, Main Source's "Vamos A Rapiar"<P>"You can't touch the effervescence" - Tajai Massey, Souls Of Mischief 1999