Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectDr. Jeckell
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=28191&mesg_id=28245
28245, Dr. Jeckell
Posted by handle, Wed Nov-10-99 07:16 AM
No that you are in your "reasonable phase."<BR>Do you know how the ULTIMATE AUTHORITY an artist has to playing in a town? They have the option of playing OR NOT PLAYING. They don't get the option of picking and chosing much. If the promoter (the one who guarntees the money) says all he can book is 21 and up, that's where they play. Why can he only book 21 and up? Sometimes it's the size of a venue. Not many BARS will close the bar for a show without getting reimbursed for lost sales. Sometimes it's the insurance risk, remeber all these events have to be insured, and under age mayhem (don't see many 35 year olds moshing) cost more to insure. Sometimes it's security. Some security agencies charge more for an all ages show.<P>How do *I* know this? Coz I worked as a "promoter" in San Diego years back. <P>How can YOU help get the ARTIST you want in your town at your venues of choice? Become a promoter. Go work for a promoter. Call your local promoter's office and make suggestions as to what talent you want in town. <P>As for your earlier Mr. Hyde post, all that shit about "Do what I want or FUCK YOU ROOTS!" is not endearing you to anyone. <P>If you want to make a differnce BE the differnce. (Some trite shit.)<P>-Tom Hayes