Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectok.......
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=28156&mesg_id=28177
28177, ok.......
Posted by guest, Mon Nov-22-99 08:05 PM
>>when he threatened to punch people from <BR>>>Seattle? or when he decided to <BR>>>say "I don't have time for <BR>>>this"? <P>>No when he explaining the booking agency <BR>>view of "established artist". <P>- so, tell me, which version of an "established artists" are we going by?<P>Because the <BR>>experience you listed did not include <BR>>working at a booking agency, perhaps <BR>>you should have taken heed from <BR>>a man who makes his living <BR>>doing tours... <P>- I've toured, what you talkin about willis?<P><BR>>>And about the "established artists" is bullshit. <BR>>>How can anyone sit there and <BR>>>say the likes of Alkaholiks are <BR>>>not established?<P>>Did you read the definition of "established" <BR>>that Quest gave?<P>- All 3 or 4 different ones of them<P> The Alkoholiks cannot <BR>>go anywhere in America and fill <BR>>2000-5000 seats. <P>- That's debatable.<P>The Roots can.<P>- That's also debatable<P> That's <BR>>the difference, PERIOD. I love the <BR>>Liks too, but as a promoter <BR>>i would never pay the same <BR>>amount, or even NEAR the same <BR>>amount, for the Liks as I <BR>>would for the Roots, because I <BR>>understand the Roots are ESTABLISHED and <BR>>are GUARANTEED to pack the house <BR>>if the show is reasonably promoted <P>- Yadda yadda yadda......which "established" are you going by now?<P><BR>>(hell, I've seen em pack the <BR>>house for badly promoted shows! I <BR>>*never* get fliers for Roots shows <BR>>at 9:30 Club, but they always <BR>>pack it...). <P>- What's the point in promotion then?<P>> None of their albums <BR>>>have reached gold (one of the <BR>>>pre-requisites in "qoolquest"'s mind on what <BR>>>an "established artist" is)<P>>You really didn't thoroughly read Quest's reply, <BR>>did you? <P>- Yes i did.<P>I will post it <BR>>again for you below... <BR>>>>being part of the roster at william morris >>talent agency (which controls 70% of the >>entertainment industry)in the department of >>music (namely hip-hop) there are 2 <BR>>>>different catagories: 1) artists who are able >>to sell out a venue between 2,500-and <BR>>>>5,000 seats. 2) and artists who don't.<P>>Quest admitted that including "gold record" as <BR>>part of the criteria was incorrect <BR>>and then posted the above. <P>- after i questioned him.<P><BR>The <BR>>Liks fall into category 2 when <BR>>touring outside the West Coast or <BR>>NYC. <P>- Debatable.<P>By the way, Quest meant <BR>>HEADLINERS who can pull in 2500-5000 <BR>>people...that means that folks see the <BR>>flier with just "alkoholiks" on it <BR>>(and probably a lesser known opening <BR>>act) and 3000 people show up. <BR>>Outside of Cali and NYC, that <BR>>ain't happening for the Liks. And <BR>>you say you're in the industry?<P>- Yup.<BR> <BR>>You must not be paying attention...few, <BR>>if any, of the Liks albums <BR>>broke 150,000 in sales<P>- All have.<P>...they also don't <BR>>tour nearly as much as the <BR>>Roots (as headliners). <P>- Yes they do. Maybe not across the nation, but they are most definatly more world friendly than The Roots.<P>>Also, I noticed that you don't have <BR>>a profile attached to your posts. <P>- another pre-requisite i wasn't included on?<P>>What are you, the anonymous industry <BR>>poster? <P>- i'm JDee.<P>Hi, I'm Alan Page, <P>- Hi Alan.<P>video <BR>>show producer,<P>- Poor you.<P> former show promoter,<P>- Lucky you.<P> emcee,<P>- I'm glad.<BR> <BR>>co-owner of a very teeny teeny <BR>>tiny indie label,<P>- Called?<P> and all around <BR>>nice guy.<P>- By who's standards?<P> What's your name? <P>- Been told you. Oh wait, you wanna know my "history" like you told me yours? Um ok. I ran promotions outta BMG from '94 - '96 when i won a regional DMC and started producing, have done for the artists i listed previously. Founded a clothing label and artist management group (ironically called WritazBlok), specifically relating to international distribution and internet marketing/relations the same year. A&R for Universal/MCA from end of '96 to the Polygram take over. <P>>Hey while I'm at, let me address <BR>>a few more of your replies <BR>>to Quest... <P>- Why? they weren't addressed to you.<P>>>>but in lauryn's eyes busta <BR>>>i>s more established because of his <BR>>>>media exposure. <P>>>- When did i mention Lauryn's eyes?<P>>I couldn't believe you posted that. In <BR>>fact, I was aghast. "In Lauryn's <BR>>eyes" is a figure of speech<P>- Ha. I didn't need to know that, i knew it when i read it. The point was, i don't give a fuck about Lauryn, i'm speaking impartially. He's speaking biasedly.<P> <BR>>and Quest only included it as <BR>>a further example of "established artist". <P>- No, he included it to split hairs betten artists and "fans" differing perceptions<P>>I am curious as to why <BR>>Lauryn would think Busta has more <BR>>media exposure than she does...considering she <BR>>has been on the cover of <BR>>many, many national magazines, while I <BR>>have never seen Busta on the <BR>>cover of anything non-hip-hop related (i.e. <BR>>general interest magazines like Newsweek). <P>- Who cares? Not me. All i want is an answer to why The Roots and other MCs tend to tour in the U.S and North America at 21 clubs, but when it's international it's all-ages. Even though i've already answered the question. <P>>Peace, <BR>>Spirit <a href="http://amphibians.iuma.com">http://amphibians.iuma.com<;/a> <a href="http://infiniteloop.iuma.com">http://infiniteloop.iuma.com<;/a> DC hip-hop is on <BR>>the rise... <BR>>"High grade when I create beats/if I <BR>>don't get signed/I'ma be the most <BR>>dope bum that ever walked the <BR>>streets" - Aychell (HL, of <BR>>Khemystery) <BR>>"If it walks like a duck, quacks <BR>>like a duck, and looks like <BR>>a duck, it's probably a tool <BR>>of the conspiracy" - unknown <P>- Obviously you're from D.C? no? Know the crew Resurrection from V.A?<BR>