Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subject"qoolquest" "responds" "again"
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=28156&mesg_id=28162
28162, "qoolquest" "responds" "again"
Posted by qoolquest, Wed Nov-17-99 01:22 AM
>Mostly toward "qoolquest".<P>why the quotes? just curious.<P><P> <BR>>Ok, a brief piece of history of <BR>>my work in the industry, over <BR>>the past 5 years i've worked <BR>>as an A&R and head of <BR>>promotions for various record labels, Universal <BR>>and BMG as examples, and i <BR>>presently produce, most notably, tracks <BR>>for Rascalz, Channel Live and Shabaam <BR>>Shadeeq.<P><BR>ok, but n---nevermind. i'll countinue.<P><P><BR> <BR>>That had nothing to do with anything, <BR>>but just to let ya'll know <BR>>i'm not typing here as a <BR>>fan, or someone working at a <BR>>label, but as someone with knowledge <BR>>of both sides of things. <BR>>I noticed, Quest, your use of the <BR>>word "ignorant" to describe alot of <BR>>the cats who challenged you, for <BR>>the most part i agree alot. <BR>> Asking 5 - 10$ for <BR>>a concert is unheard of in <BR>>Hip Hop. People don't understand that <BR>>in this industry the labels KNOW <BR>>Hip Hop is the most popular <BR>>music in the world, therefor there's <BR>>ALOT of money with the people <BR>>who will come to concerts. <BR>>But back to the "letter". The <BR>>entire thing was focused around The <BR>>Roots going to perform at a <BR>>21 and over club, rather than <BR>>an under-agers club. Alot of <BR>>people missed the point, and side <BR>>tracked it. <BR>>I don't see why the Roots shouldn't <BR>>perform at an all-ages gig. Or <BR>>any Hip hop act for that <BR>>matter. In the industry we know <BR>>the Hip Hop "buyers" demographic to <BR>>be in the teenage years. Why <BR>>should they miss out? It's <BR>>a given that the promoters have <BR>>"deals" with 21 clubs (and the <BR>>alcohol makes alot of money for <BR>>them), and generally under-ages clubs are <BR>>more costly to hire. But, labels <BR>>like your own, MCA/Universal put money <BR>>into assuring concerts go ahead where <BR>>the demographics are at their highest. <P>ok, well there is a problem with that statement. my label (or any label) has about as much to do with concert shows, as puff has to do with roots production. label's deal with records, "agents" deal with concerts.<P><P><P><P>>It's also a given that there <BR>>will be "pc people" who dance <BR>>around saying "you can't say that <BR>>word infront of my childs face!", <BR>>and that's the main obsticle. <BR>>I hate punk, but i won't go <BR>>there. The reason rock/punk acts do <BR>>"cheap" shows is not because they're <BR>>"do it yourself" groups or performances, <BR>>it's because the music isn't selling <BR>>to the level Hip hop is. <BR>><BR>>Now, the biggest problem i had, "qoolquest", <BR>>was with this "established" artists shit <BR>>you were trying to pull. Which <BR>>is it? 6 albums or gold <BR>>albums? In both reasoning, <BR>>Gangstarr was never "established" until last <BR>>year. EPMD are yet to <BR>>be "established", as with Brand Nubian, <BR>>Kid Frost, King T, Just-Ice, Alkaholiks, <BR>>M.O.P, the entire B.C.C and Beatnuts. <BR>> You're not established in industry <BR>>terms until you release your first <BR>>album on a major label.<P>my friend you are sadly mistaken. the "established" thing was a footnote. a mere side order in a bigger point that i was trying to make. i will re-define what i believe this term to mean. being part of the roster at william morris talent agency (which controls 70% of the entertainment industry)in the department of music (namely hip-hop) there are 2 different catagories: 1) artists who are able to sell out a venue between 2,500-and 5,000 seats. 2) and artists who don't.<P>sorry but when on the phone with my agent and a promoter that's the paraphrased term we used to describe an act that has strong power on the road.<BR>however there are artists that are our favorites that can't fill that slot just yet.<P>in 96 prior to "the score" the fugees were not able to do the "Ready or not" tour in the northwest section unless the roots were on the bill. of course it was a whole new song once the album got in everyone's system.<P>so at wma the idea is to put an established group with 2 non established. i wasn't being condescending when using titles. just understand that the laws of relativity work strong in the concert stage. sure we can be "established" on a certain level. but in lauryn's eyes busta is more established because of his media exposure. i'm not in the dark. of course i know gang starr is etablished et al. and gold dosn't mean that you are not established. just ignore what i said, i'm aware what an "established artist is.<P><P><BR> <BR>>Eminem was not "established" until he <BR>>released his album on Aftermath. <BR>>Cru were not "established" until they <BR>>did their thing on Def Jam. <BR>><BR>>In conclusion, i feel "qoolquest", you need <BR>>to be more direct in your <BR>>responses, not all of us are <BR>>ignorant to the industry. And none <BR>>of us need to be treated <BR>>like we are. If you don't <BR>>attempt to educate us, how are <BR>>we gonna know?<P>again money, you are concentrating on a footnote, a side comment. something not at all i was even thinkin would get dissected once i said it.......but "qoolquest" is more than capable of effin up specially when all my posts are done in between 4am-6am.<P> Or do you <BR>>want more letters requesting your performance <BR>>at underager clubs? <BR>>And, to the rest of you on <BR>>this board, and others. I don't <BR>>mean to be some "evil man <BR>>from ruin your life land" or <BR>>anything, but why are ya'll so <BR>>strung up on "This group is <BR>>gods gift to my life"? <BR>>"qoolquest" is out for loot, like <BR>>everyone in Hip hop is.<P>well the truth is.............well i don't wanna tell you the reason because i heard that all former promotion guys are ex drug addicts anyway. just fustrated artists, not smart enough to hold a real white color job. so no need in wasting your time, will you shoot that needle in your arms.<P><BR> <BR>>He just happens to love what <BR>>he does to make that loot.<P>if you must know yes i need money to survive. ut how much do you think i have samrty?<BR> <BR>> Standing behind him begging or <BR>>standing up and stating what's on <BR>>your mind, and letting the man <BR>>defend himself and attempt to justify <BR>>his actions and thoughts don't change <BR>>him. And they shouldn't change <BR>>him.<P><BR>can't be helped. i'm hopeless.<P><BR>i'm sure by this point you are either very shocked, or pissed by the previous statement. if you are human i hope so, so know you know what that shit feels like. the truth is, you do not know me, or the reasons behind why i do shows. so that statement is none too bright to say unless you happen to be in the room next. <P><BR> Can we have an <BR>>indepth discussion on issues surrounding the <BR>>industry relations with "fans" without the <BR>>"oooohhh i just love your group"? <BR>>or the "fuck your group cause <BR>>i said so" shit? <BR>>Peace. <P>well, you seem to have all the answers so imma ask you since you say that we are esteemed collegues in "the industry" you tell me the reason why most promoters choose to do 21 shows. and no it's not alcohol loot either. i need to know. thanks.<P><BR>"....start your own company??!? your parents don't have enough money to buy you a company!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"