Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectthe real problem with this post...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=28011&mesg_id=28079
28079, the real problem with this post...
Posted by koan, Thu Dec-02-99 01:23 PM
...is that it's turned into just a massive attack on white people in general, and not a civil discussion of interracial relationships. we're not going to shed any light on this question by howling about the evils of white people, we're just not. so let's try to get back on topic. this post isn't about the evils of caucasians... it's about whether or not it is wrong for two people of differing races to be romantically involved.<P>(actually... isn't it really about black thought's role in an upcoming film and whether he's wrong in taking that role as it may be perceived by some as denigrating to the "black cause"? ...well... yeah... but what are the chances of getting back onto that subject?)<P>you know, just because someone isn't dating a person of the same color as them doesn't mean they've got some serious self-hatred issues or that they're not supportive of the black cause. it just means that they've found someone with whom they choose to spend their time and they're not so close-minded as to being limited by differences in ethnicity. there is nothing wrong with dating someone of the same ethnic background as you... it may actually make things go more easily. likewise, there is nothing wrong with dating a person of a different background provided you do it out of love and not because they're a novelty or a way of "bettering yourself".<P>i've said it before and i'll say it again: i've never dated a black woman. it's not a matter of preference or choice because i most definitely find black women beautiful and attractive and i would date any girl whom i find attractive. i've never dated a black girl because i've rarely come across one that meshes as well with me as the one of the girls i have gone out with.... (well... that and the fact that i've never come across a sista that will go out with me... i don't seem to appeal much to african american females, and i am greatly distressed by that... but not too much... 'cause there's lots of other types of women, eh?)<BR>it boils down to this, really. i date all kinds of women. given the chance, i will gladly date an african american woman if the opportunity presents itself. but... i do not feel some kind of "racial duty" to carry on the black race... i don't think anyone should. the only duty you should have is to yourself to make your life the happiest you can. and if you are happy with a white/brown/black/yellow person, then you should be with that person. so i ask this question:<P>-what problem do YOU have with ME dating a girl of white/asian/middle eastern/american indian/other ethnicity?<BR>-and why do you have this problem? <BR>-why should i let the problems YOU have dictate the manner in which i live MY life?<BR>*this question is assuming that i don't have any "serious self-hatred" issues or desires of "self-betterment" through miscegenation... this is assuming that i am dating a beautiful white-asian woman because i love her... which i am. :)*<P>i challenge anyone who has, in this post, or in life, railed against interracial relationships for whatever reason to answer these questions.<BR>personally, i don't think you can give a satisfactory, so surprise me.<P>gawd, this is a long post... did i actually say anything? ...ah well... yeah. i'd appreciate it if those with differing views would answer the questions i posed previously.<BR>-koan<P>"without awareness, there is no life... only activity"