Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectI agree...to some extent
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=28011&mesg_id=28018
28018, I agree...to some extent
Posted by guest, Wed Dec-01-99 02:29 AM
The thing is how are we ever to trully disect race and its implications if we continually keep the "conversation" a homogenous one? Black people talk about race all the time. Every step and breath we take we feel race on some level so we are more inclined to make it a natural point of conversation. White people for the most part stray from everyday conversation and more importantly examinations of race. <P>There is theory that the greatest problem of race and the "color line" is that every race and hue has been examened (cf. all the US Census' since the first one - the only racial category that is unchanged since the early 1800's is "White") and disected but whiteness. Hence, there is a comfort and relative racial silence in just sticking within the bastians of whiteness. If you are in the midwest or most cities and towns across the nation you rarely have to deal with race or color because most people around you look like you.<P>To make this shorter, my point is that if we don't involve whites into racial discussions and disections we won't get very far. Movies such as this where racial relationships are looked at are greatly needed. Race is not a black or "of color" issue and until we make that clear universally there will be no progress. When we make race and racial issues solely a black or "of color" issue then it stays as something viewed as as "their problem" and nothing is trully done about it.<P>Not to mention that the setting for the movie is Crown Heights Brooklyn the place of past racial riots. I don't know where you are from but New Yorkers know the kind of intense feelings surround that neighborhood. Do some research, a movie that depicts Crown Heights and the tensions between blacks and jews is not only needed but should be demanded.<P>I give much respect and props to Thought for being involved. Cause the "system" is what taught us to only look at the surface - stringy hair - and not at what is real (do the research)<P>Peace. And forgive the typos et. al. it has been a long night of papers.<P>"And even after all my logic and theory, I add a motherf*cker so you ign't niggas hear me" - L-Boogie