Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectdearest ?uest,
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=27949&mesg_id=27997
27997, dearest ?uest,
Posted by krewcial, Fri Dec-03-99 03:04 AM
>1. i never said i would wear <BR>>my hair in braids.....nigga please. i <BR>>wear this fro cause i'm arrogant <BR>>and proud.....imagine that, me tonin my <BR>>shit down for fear of public <BR>>scrutiny.......til i lose my hair this <BR>>afro stands as a sign of <BR>>defience.......... <P>I apologise, apparently I misunderstood your dream hampton quote.<P>> 2. pop fluff or whatever, political <BR>>correctness or not. i'm proud of <BR>>any nuh that grew up 10 <BR>>blocks away from me. i too <BR>>was west philadelphia born and raised. <BR>>will smith is my fuckin <BR>>man. eff that holier than thou <BR>>shit. next i'll get roasted for <BR>>workin with someone cause they are <BR>>white, or handicapped or gay......<P>I was criticing the president of the United States, not simply 'becos he is the president', but becos of the stuff he's done so far, or better : what he hasn't yet.<P>There's a huge difference between what I said and claiming '?uest shouldn't perform for any politician'. ?uest, this has nothing to do with getting roasted for working with someone white (Scott Storch), handicapped (any person wearing glasses) or gay (we all know gay people, so you probably already have at one point or another, be it an engineer, producer, choreographer, whatever). That was not what I'm saying.<P>But Bill Clinton is lightyears away from 'just a white dude who happens to be president'.<P>>whatever, y'all <BR>>try to pull this shit on <BR>>riq and he don't come here <BR>>that much to really speak on <BR>>his is (why is he fuckin <BR>>white jawns in the movies?)....fuck that.....michael <BR>>jackson calls? sheeeeit!!!! if freddie mercury <BR>>were alive? shhhhhhheeeeeit. that's some funny <BR>>shit. "quest i'd figure you'd know <BR>>better"---or whatever. that's like the goverment <BR>>tellin ali to kill the vietkong. <BR>>("they never did nothin to me....") <P>I think you're giving us the answer here. Your priority is your music/art. I respect that. <P>I understand you don't just say 'NO' when you get the opportunity to play with a monument as Quincy Jones (especially at your age), this obviously means a lot to anyone involved with music. This is some huge recognition, a reward for all your hard work and practice, very flattering and there's pride and eagerness involved too. <BR>Refusing would not only be a hard thing to do from an artistic point of view, but it might have some effed up consequences for your future career as musician too (people not wanting to work with you or The Roots, cos they think you overreacted by saying no to this offer, or think you're unreliable).<P>I'm aware of all of that (plus there's probably more stuff I don't know), but ...<BR>at the same time the context/surrounding is pretty different from let's say 'performing with Quincy Jones in Oakland on a Huey Newton-barbecue'. <P>I feel your credibility as an artist and your integrity as a person is being abused to promote Clinton. <P>>3. i'm confused with "i'm not dissing <BR>>you ?uest, i'm just shocked they <BR>>support you"........so this is a passive <BR>>agressive dis. then what is it <BR>>exactly? <P>That depends on your definition of dis. For me, 'dis' is short for 'disrespect', not for 'disagreeing'. I disagree (not completely with your decision, but much more with the way you motivated it in your reply) but it's YOUR decision . I'm not on some 'fan-telling-you-what-to-do', and you KNOW that, ?uest. <P>>....look y'all, anything goes around here. yes <BR>>you are allowed to disagree.........but the <BR>>same goes for me..................... <P>Of course, and I'm glad we can have this discussion, cos reality is much more than a choice between 'he's selling out by doing that' or 'back off, you should be happy for ?uest'.<P>But I wouldn't put time in posting this if I didn't love what you do.<P>And I sincerely hope you have the time of your life and a great New Year's Eve.<P>take care,<BR>krewcial<BR><a href="http://urgent.rug.ac.be/vinylators">http://urgent.rug.ac.be/vinylators<;/a><P>'We've got to change our own minds about each other. We have to see each other with new eyes. We have to see each other as brothers and sisters. We have to come together with warmth'<BR>