Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectI got your back Mr. Thompson
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=27949&mesg_id=27995
27995, I got your back Mr. Thompson
Posted by guest, Thu Dec-02-99 03:35 PM
If Martin Luther King were asked to speak at the White House would we have been mad at him????<P>Are we mad at Jesse Owens for running in the 1936 olympics and grinning at hitler when he won his gold medal????<P>I think it is good that you are going to perform at the white house Quest. I think people are really missing the point of the whole thing by getting upset by it. I'm not really a fan of political statements and protests. I think they had their place but we live in a different time now. Someone said that they felt your comparison about wearing clothes made in sweatshops is a bad one, but I agree with you. The US Government does many many corrupt and evil things in this world, and has done many evil things to us black people. I understand that people feel that it is offensive for you to perform in the place that symbolizes that corruption. But let's get real here. Life is not a political statement. As we have been persecuted and wronged by this system. We have also partaken in the corruption. We have drunk heavily from the bloody cup that is American society. That's why I always have had problems with people who protest policies, and actions which when it comes down to it, they benefit from. Face it, we can't even be having this discussion over the internet, in our nice homes, on our expensive computers, wearing our hundred dollar sneakers with our 15 dollar roots cd blasting in the background without the injustice which is american policy. <BR>Where am I going with this you ask??<BR>Here's the bottom line. Life is about moral character and not political affiliations. NO politics in the end benefits all so all politics is bad. You must dig deep within yourself and reach up to GOD to learn how to be the best that you can be and love your neighbor as yourself. So he is playing the drums in the white house. Does that make him less than those who would refuse. I won't judge Quest by where he plays his drums just as I won't judge anyone by what they say on the message board. The key is this, is Quest a loving person, does he help his fellow man??? If he doesn't, then God will judge him accordingly. We are all hypocrites people, even though Rages against the machines, and dead prez's out there. We pick and choose our battles purely based on our likes and dislikes. Let God judge who he will judge. if we all worry about loving each other more instead of figuring out what is the proper political stance to have about something then we won't have to worry about these matters. I'm gonna stop now before y'all think my peel is getting soft or something.<BR>Peace,<BR>Stevelove AKA The yellow wonder