Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectSista Souljah and Mumia
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=27949&mesg_id=27988
27988, Sista Souljah and Mumia
Posted by guest, Thu Dec-02-99 10:29 AM
First, Quest, thanks for doing what other artists don't. Defend or explain your decisions to the people who buy your albums and attend your shows. <P>>You mean you'd go there, but change <BR>>your look to make sure people <BR>>wouldn't recognize you ? Why <BR>>not skip it then ? <P>I'd like to know the answer to this to. People will say "leave him alone, let him do what he wants", but if you claim to be interested in causes such as Mumia, why not at least use this opportunity to wear a "Free Mumia" shirt instead of changing your hairstyle so that people won't realize it's you at a celebration for Clinton?<P>>>i'm exited to be working with <BR>>>will, jeff, savion glover, fatima (world <BR>>>reknown choeographer), and those babes from <BR>>>the "pretty fly for a white <BR>>>guy video"......and most importantly, a chance <BR>>>to work with my idol quincy <BR>>>jones (he's directing the big band.......and <BR>>>yes we are doin that time <BR>>>travel thing). <P>>I understand that, but that night is <BR>>more than just an opportunity to <BR>>be working with the people you <BR>>mentioned. I never considered <BR>>the fact that you'd want to <BR>>be part of a big commercial <BR>>for Clinton's accomplishments, no matter how <BR>>eager you were to work with <BR>>certain people. <P>Yes, you cannot remove the event from the people. And, you'd make bigger noise to Quincy, Will and everyone if you declined the invitation. The Roots aren't a household name like Quincy and Will. Imagine this unknown to the masses drummer refusing to play at The White House. Who does he think he is? It would be great.<P>I can't believe I am explaining this to you. I've always thought you were politically conscious, but you want to put your opportunity to work with Will and Quincy above your chance to make a statement? Say it ain't so.<P>so instead of <BR>>questioning their own behaviour, or motivating <BR>>it, they try to find <BR>>something in your life that they <BR>>can criticise. Most of the <BR>>time cos they realise that their <BR>>choice can't be motivated. <BR>>I'm not saying you do, but I'm <BR>>tired of getting this response when <BR>>I just speak my mind. <P>That "Yeah, but you can't say you check every diamond you buy to make sure no one in South Africa was killed over it?" response? <P>I might not, but every chance I get, I try to stay informed and I consciously avoid making decisions that negatively impact people or PORTRAY AN IMAGE I DO NOT WANT TO PORTRAY.<P>If I went, my shirt would say:<P>"Free Mumia and do not use the public's fear of hiphop (Sista Souljah) to help your presidential campaign. Love, Ecrire"<P>Ecrire<P>