Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectdear ?uest
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=27949&mesg_id=27987
27987, dear ?uest
Posted by krewcial, Thu Dec-02-99 09:56 AM
> well krew, i too had thoughts <BR>>about this. but in the end. <BR>>this night is about will. <P>I still don't think that's an excuse, <BR>I mean : you can make the decision to either go or skip it. <P>But I didn't intend to go this 'personal' route, I was merely stunned by all the positive response you got. <BR>I mean, whether you go or not is your personal decision, I'm not in any position to judge you on that, and I'm sure you considered all the pros and cons. <BR>However, I do have a few remarks on things you said in your reply.<P>>trust <BR>>me, in the light of the <BR>>nafta like situation going on in <BR>>seattle (seems like i ain't the <BR>>only one they trippin on.....lol), to <BR>>the day of doom on dec. <BR>>2nd (mumia) there were thoughts i <BR>>had on "doing something". but again. <BR>>this night isn't about me. my <BR>>mentor and muse dream hampton was <BR>>on some "you need to braid <BR>>your hair that night so that <BR>>niggas can't see you....." i dunno. <P>You mean you'd go there, but change your look to make sure people wouldn't recognize you ? Why not skip it then ? <P>>i'm exited to be working with <BR>>will, jeff, savion glover, fatima (world <BR>>reknown choeographer), and those babes from <BR>>the "pretty fly for a white <BR>>guy video"......and most importantly, a chance <BR>>to work with my idol quincy <BR>>jones (he's directing the big band.......and <BR>>yes we are doin that time <BR>>travel thing). <P>I understand that, but that night is more than just an opportunity to be working with the people you mentioned. <BR>I never considered the fact that you'd want to be part of a big commercial for Clinton's accomplishments, no matter how eager you were to work with certain people.<P>And hearing that Quincy Jones will be there too ... dayum, I love Quincy jones to death (bought his 'Gula Matari' today) but I feel he shouldn't be there either.<P>I understand that it's flattering to be part of this (great musicians, a unique project, ...), but there's a certain context. It's not just 'playing in a big band directed by Quincy Jones'.<P>And you'll probably get a chance to work with Quincy Jones and all the other people involved anyway.<P>>so either way <BR>>you look at it......everything done in <BR>>life has some pros and cons <BR>>krew....<P>true, but there's a difference between being part of some promo for the American President (being aware of the consequences) and buying a pair of sneakers from an Indonesian sweatshop. <P>Which brings me to your next remark ...<BR> <BR>>i'm sure the jeans you have <BR>>on were stiched by some kid <BR>>for .04 cents an hour, or <BR>>perhaps the lights in your room <BR>>were made by the same company <BR>>that denied that they were doing <BR>>business with south africa......trust me. <P>I guess you haven't read the 'Politics Pt.1' post on General Discussion yet ... you probably wouldn't have said this if you did ...<P>I get this reaction quite often; people feel offended cos you try to do right (and they do different on certain points), so instead of questioning their own behaviour, or motivating it, <BR>they try to find something in your life that they can criticise. Most of the time cos they realise that their choice can't be motivated.<P>I'm not saying you do, but I'm tired of getting this response when I just speak my mind. <BR>Again, I was not criticising you ?uest (even though I didn't expect this from you, but that has nothing to do with the core of my remark), I just didn't expect all those UNCONDITIONAL props from okayplayers. <P>And as stated earlier : in my eyes there's a huge difference between buying that cheap pair of jeans (especially since some people don't have the budget to buy 'ethically correct' clothes, or there's no alternative within reach) and performing at the White House on New Year's Eve.<P>>just <BR>>because i'm in the white house <BR>>don't mean that i don't know <BR>>what time it is <P>I know that, and I guess all of us know that, but that's exactly why I posted. Doesn't that make you feel uncomfortable ? Plus the people who'll be watching it probably won't 'read' that message.<P>That's how I feel.<P><BR>take care,<BR>krewcial<BR><a href="http://urgent.rug.ac.be/vinylators">http://urgent.rug.ac.be/vinylators<;/a><P>'We've got to change our own minds about each other. We have to see each other with new eyes. We have to see each other as brothers and sisters. We have to come together with warmth'<BR>