Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectOh my, everyone gets mad when they get their belief system tested.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=27806&mesg_id=27833
27833, Oh my, everyone gets mad when they get their belief system tested.
Posted by guest, Sat Jan-08-00 11:22 PM
I will not argue with you or try to change your oppinion on the subject matter of Wynton Marsalis and jazz in the nineteen nineties. Personally underground bands are making wonderful music and pushin' it even further my freinds yet they have no recognition. I have seen Marsalis's beginners video and it was cute. I've read articles on him and listened to his music, giving him a chance to move me. Unfortunantly I was not moved. The only album of his that moved me was Reinassance. The third song is nice. The other new music of the nineties that is considered jazz, doesn't move me. I still dig HErbie, and Chick Corea, and Pharoah Saunders, but as far as the cats yall mentioned I don't feel. Yet I have tried and their music does not move, nor inspire me. To put it bluntly I have heard nothing from popular jazz that is inovative sinse MIles died. By saying this I am not saying you shouldn't be moved but I'm just informing you of what popular jazz hasn't done. Yet with in the next ten years you will see a change, trust me. NOw as for saying that you all don't know certain muscians, that was taken out of context. My statement did not refer to you AFKAP, my response referred to people who dissed his drummin'. And regardless of if you know them or not, the point is do they understand them or not. As for my ass kissin' wit' Quest, That was me simply reassuring Quest that he need not worry about cats that don't feel him cuz its a bunch a cats that do, and I further went on to explain why he shouldn't sweat cats you know. Because through my many years as a struggling artist, I've always taken crtism serrious especially constructive critiscm. And that critism at times has the ability to drive an artist crazy. YOu see how Quest was trying to make up for the constant rimshot shit by blaming it all on D. Thats all, alot of people on here love to bashthe artist instead of reassuring the artist and thats not what this type of forum should be used for. True I bashed Wynton, yet this isn't Wyntons site you understand... Regardless of our discussion I sincerly hope you all buy D'Angelo's album and judge for yourselves.<BR>PEACE.